The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up 4 from an LFS near me, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with sexing these fish. I'll try to post some pictures of them soon, they're in my QT tank for the time being.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just added my L. Curviceps to my 55, they had to sit in my QT for a bit longer so I could get rid of some fish.

They're still a little stressed from the move and getting used to their new home but I was able to get a semi-decent shot of one.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-7152tXL8Ktc/U3PUhYxuyDI/AAAAAAAAB64/dx_vE5imsTQ/w623-h351-no/2014-05-14

I'll try to take more as they get more comfortable and colored up. Also, I think I may have gotten lucky and possibly have 2 m/f pairs?? I still go back and forth if it's 2 m/f pairs or 3 males and 1 female.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Looking good Rogz. I love laetacara, do you have experience with any of the other species. How about any of the nannacara??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking good Rogz. I love laetacara, do you have experience with any of the other species. How about any of the nannacara??
Nope, this is my first time keeping ANY Laetacara :icon_surp I saw the Curviceps at the LFS and had to buy them, they were exactly the cichlid I was looking for in my 55.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
they are really easy to breed....
heavily tainted water with low ph, and put a big piece of flat wood(I use bark) at the bottom.

they will lay eggs on the wood/bark, and dig several big hole on the substrate, once the eggs hatch, they will move the babies to the hole.

bred 5 times since I have them, every time a big cloud of babies fish but didn't intend to save, and all eaten by other fish in the tank, even the parents fiercely guarding the baby fish.

actually, I am not sure they are curvirceps or dorsigera, their belly are deep purplish red when the light is strong, especially in the morning when the sun light hit the fish tank through the window.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Those are definitely dorsigera. A lot of shops, Petco to name one, sell dorsigera as curviceps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...It looks like I have Dorsigera too(I think?)

Limpet, Bettatail, jmf, or anyone else...how can I sex my Curviceps/Dorsigera? Like I mentioned, I think I have either 2m/2f or 3m/1f.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Roogz, I am starting to notice mine becoming more gender distinct. The males (I think) are much bigger and have much more coloring, whereas the females are lacking the coloration. I think like most cichlids you will have to wait for the pink belly to determine the female gender, or wait to watch the breeding tubes.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
[IMG said:
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz92/bettatail/fish/IMG_6976_zps681d1b8b.jpg[/IMG]
bettatail, lovely picture and beautiful fish!! I agree that those look just like the ones I have and are known to be l. dorsigera.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts