The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at my LFS today and saw these guys.. Actually this is the first time I've heard of them.. Tried looking in the net but kinda not satisfied with the information they have on there.. Any of you guys have experience with them?? Are they good on a planted tank or not??

Any info will help.. Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
A Wet Spot fan, are you? So'm I. They're a really great fish. They are tough, inoffensive, great in any tank (including planted ones), and somewhat colorful. A perfect dwarf cichlid. But, if you want a pair, get four, cause they're a pain to sex. A real pain. Return the two that don't pair up to the store because a pair doesn't like others of their own kind in their space. Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A Wet Spot fan, are you? So'm I. They're a really great fish. They are tough, inoffensive, great in any tank (including planted ones), and somewhat colorful. A perfect dwarf cichlid. But, if you want a pair, get four, cause they're a pain to sex. A real pain. Return the two that don't pair up to the store because a pair doesn't like others of their own kind in their space. Did I miss anything?
Hahaha!! How'd you know?? Lol!! Anyway, I really appreciate the info.. Im definitely gonna give them a try.. Ummm.. Maybe i'll put them in a planted tank.. Or not.. Lol!! Depending on the level of laziness.. :)

Oh I forgot to ask.. Whats the minimum tank for one pair??

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I've seen the fish there, and your 'Location' said Portland, OR.

Depends on what you have in with them. If they are alone, a 12hx12wx24-36l tank would be ideal. If you've got other fish in there, I'd say a 18hx12wx36-48l would suffice. The more cover available, the less stress to everyone. The parents won't be able to see any predators so they'll be less likely to eat the eggs or chase other fish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts