The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have any ideas why a new leaf would start curling? Any triggers? Light? low co2? Ferts?

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should also add that it is just one leaf and it so happens to be the newest one. The Big older leafs look fine. I moved this plant from a 29g to a 75g with more light and injecting co2.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I answered my own question? Maybe the new tank/lights are way brighter then the tank it was in before and the young leaf was just shock. The substrate is new also. Eco-complete. The only thing i dosed with so far has been micros figuring I would get a few weeks of ferts out of the substrate. I guess only time will tell. Looking at a chart I found on here, it looks like it could also be lack of calcium. Before I dose anything else, I will a week or three.:icon_wink

·
Registered
206 Posts
EC is mostly BS when it comes to its listed nutrients; they're about as bioavailable to the plants as they are to you. You'll get some iron, and I believe a tiny bit of magnesium, but that's it. The good news is that EC has some CEC, so it will gain nutrients over time rather than sitting inert so long as you keep your column dosed well.

Dose your macros, see what changes. What ever else is left is usually light and CO2 presuming there's nothing wrong with the tank.

-Philosophos

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, I will try that. I know people say that it's okay to 2x dose but the tank is still new. I didn't want to over do it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Overdo it? Not too likely. The classic Hogueland stock solution that gets modified and used for macrophytes in many an experiment is about 10x what you'll see in EI and similar tanks. The fish will be dead a very long time before the plants complain. Your soil will build up nutrients over time, and eventually you'll be pushing in nutrients from both the soil and column. This is ideal because if you're unable or forget to dose, your plants can still fall back on your substrate some. -Philosophos

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.