The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking about how long my current lab grade pH probe has been in use 1.5 years. That got me wondering, what is the expected lifespan of a lab grade pH probe in a planted tank?

·
Registered
25 Posts
A probe will last about a year and a half in saltwater, longer in freshwater(depending, IE if you have high levels of dissolved metals it could impact the electrode).

Best bet would be to let the probe sit in some PH4 calibration fluid (its basically acid, will dissolve any built up organics) for a few minutes then calibrate off of PH4 and PH7 fluids.

Single use packets of calibration fluid are $1 each, its worth spending $2 or $3 ($3 if you also get a PH10 packet) to calibrate. You could pickup a few extras of each and check it a month or two later to see if its drifting and needs replacement.

If you do replace the probe make sure to calibrate the new probe, probes are expensive compared to the cost of calibration fluid.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
If I recall we kept our probe sitting in potassium chloride to keep it "Fresh." It's only changed when we get strange readings (never)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The calibration fluid arrived today - bought some new fluid since the old fluid was expired.

I checked the calibration and the pH settled quickly in each calibration fluid (4,7).

The reading after the calibration was within .1 of the before calibration reading.

Two years of probe life and counting.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I have used the same probe for over 2 years and it's still working just fine. I have heard people say to replace them every year or so but at $50+ for a new probe I will wait until I notice it not working like it should. I think as long as you take care of them and store them properly when not in use they will last awhile.

·
Registered
496 Posts
they say replace every year hahaha
imo use until the calibration process shows drift
use ph 7 then ph4 then when you go back to ph 7 again, should be close
if the probe is shot it will fluctuate a bit and not want to settle into a constant readout
the one i have now is about two years , going strong

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.