The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My breeding group spawned again and now the babies are big enough (1"-1.5") for me to ship. These are some of the most intriguing fish I have ever kept. They are home in either a normal community set up or a specialized amazon bio-tope. They are mostly herbivores and will absolutely demolish any GDA or other softer algaes in the tank but also like some meaty foods now and again. They prefer warmer temps and softer water but a long time ago, before I knew anything about them; I kept some for a couple of years in a non heated tank that I actually used limestone slabs I collected from the banks of the Missouri river as a complete back of the tank hard scape which made the pH/TDS in the tank off the scale and they were fine for some time. The tank was also kept at 72 degrees.

They will be $30/fish and shipped priority for $10 (no DOA) or $30 for USPS Express (DOA guarantee). OR you can get 6/$150 shipped priority or 6/$170 shipped express. They will be shipped in an insulated box packed in Kordon breather bags and use polyfil in each bag to suck up all the nasty stuff they excrete. There will be no DOA guarantee on Priority shipped orders. I will ship USPS Express with the fish packed in the same way as above for $30 and will have a DOA guarantee as long as the package is accepted on first delivery attempt and I have pics of the DOA/S in the unopened baggies within one hour of the USPS quoted drop off time, no exceptions. In the event of any DOA's I will either refund the price of the expired fish or reship the amount if the purchaser pays shipping again, this is the purchasers choice unless I have no fish left for replacement then you will get your money back minus shipping charge. Shipping WILL NOT be refunded if there are any problems.

You can PM me, email me at [email protected] or text/call @ 314-607-3338. I'm always up late and will be happy to discuss any questions you have, I love talking shop! :)

Feel free to check out the L183 journal in my sig. It goes from the beginning to current on my journey with these little guys! :D

Big Poppa

Momma

The babies! (from previous spawn/s)

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
they look so cute !!!
Can I keep them in my crystal/cherry shrimps ..
the water is not too soft .. and temp around 72-74
will they be happy there ?

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they look so cute !!!
Can I keep them in my crystal/cherry shrimps ..
the water is not too soft .. and temp around 72-74
will they be happy there ?
They would be very happy and would never even think about harming your CRS. :proud:

How many are you wanting?

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bsmith.. what kind of water do these guys need?
What they need and what is required for breeding are totally different.

At one point in time when I had no idea where these came from or what truly made them happy I was keeping them in the exact opposite parameters as what is ideal. It was a 55g that I collected sandstone slates from the bank of the Missouri river and the temp was in the low 70s. I also did WC's with my tap which ranges from 7.8-8.2. the sandstone cause the water to be extremely hard.

They prefer acidic water in the upper 5's to mid 6's but will be fine in the lower 7's. Temp can be from the lower 70's to upper 80s.

I keep them in water that is in the lower 80s. pH is lower then the API kit can read which goes down to 6. My TDS is also from 80-100.

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
What they need and what is required for breeding are totally different.

I keep them in water that is in the lower 80s. pH is lower then the API kit can read which goes down to 6. My TDS is also from 80-100.
Coolio I'll have to check the params in my 75 some time and possibly set the cash aside some day.

Edit: Do they get along with other plecos? Specifically gold nuggets?

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coolio I'll have to check the params in my 75 some time and possibly set the cash aside some day.

Edit: Do they get along with other plecos? Specifically gold nuggets?
I didnt see that you posted this when i made the last post, sorry about that.

As far as I know they are very cordial with other plecos but I have never kept them with any other cats. They never fight in my breeding tank. There are 3m and 1f in there so I would think that if there was going to be some fighting, with the lack of female fin in comparison to male, it would be happening in my tank if anywhere.

I am still selling these. The spawn was bigger then I thought! :)

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How will these do with L144 plecos?
From what I can find they would be good friends. You would just need to keep the tank around the mid 70s and looks like they both can tolerate a large window in their pH range.

I have never seen any aggression form these fish. I would think that since my fish are faced with breeding situations and I have a horrible M/F ratio (ideal is 2-3 females per male but I have 3m and only one f) if they were going to scrap there would have been a lot of it happening by now.

How many are you thinking about?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts