The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to planting aquarium. Have a dirt 10 gallon (eco-complete, miracle gro, clay) no fish. Finnex stingray for lighting. In the first week have seen white roots from stem and new leaves...I dose excel every day. The only mistake i did was cleaning the aqua clear 20 hob(a 1 year old seeded one) sponge in the tank which was crystal clear, which made the water cloudy which did not settle even after 24 hours. So did a 90% water change to clean the gravel..and now the repens root turned black and started lossing leaves...any idea what went wrong?

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Well ,I think it possible that when soil is capped with another medium, that root's sometimes have trouble reaching the dirt before they begin to struggle from lack of available nutrient's.
I like to place the soil in the tank,get it fairly wet,then stick the plant's in the dirt and gently/tediously,, fill around them with the cap whatever it might be.
Is a pain when the tank is heavily planted.
ECO complete is said to have good cation exchange capability (CEC) ,but maybe lacks nutrient content initially until such time as it soaks some up from underneath, or from that which is added via fish food/ fish waste or nutrient's dosed to the volume of water.
I would not clean gravel too vigorously,might consider adding dry fertilzer's Macro/micro to the water once a week .(aquariumfertilizer.com)
Might also consider running light's at only six hour's total each day for first few month's.
Excel I believe is to be dosed daily and is good source of carbon which plant's need but is not a nutrient per se.
Hope some of this help's.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
If you do a search you will see that this happens with repens. It happened to me and no one can really say why.
My carpet was going like gang busters, then one day it had a hole in it. Over the next week the entire carpet melted down to just stems and a few leaves. After about another week it stated to come back and is now lusher and more vibrant than ever. I did nothing but ride it out.

a few details about the tank:
dirted, capped with eco-complete
co2 injection
dosing EI and recommended levels.
Lights are split into two 4 hour periods with the break being mid day.
Heavy bioload
SunSun canister filter and HOB.
Finnex stingray and Beamswork lights

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/33-plants/981257-life-after-s-repens-melt.html

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
If you do a search you will see that this happens with repens. It happened to me and no one can really say why.
My carpet was going like gang busters, then one day it had a hole in it. Over the next week the entire carpet melted down to just stems and a few leaves. After about another week it stated to come back and is now lusher and more vibrant than ever. I did nothing but ride it out.

a few details about the tank:
dirted, capped with eco-complete
co2 injection
dosing EI and recommended levels.
Lights are split into two 4 hour periods with the break being mid day.
Heavy bioload
SunSun canister filter and HOB.
Finnex stingray and Beamswork lights

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/33-plants/981257-life-after-s-repens-melt.html
He mention l.repens not s.repens...

I am having similar problems i can never seem to get more then 2 stems gong. Either the top melts or the bottoms rot away. Definitely not a prolific as my other stems.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
He mention l.repens not s.repens...

I am having similar problems i can never seem to get more then 2 stems gong. Either the top melts or the bottoms rot away. Definitely not a prolific as my other stems.
whoa....really didn't catch that! So sorry!:frown2:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Without more details on what parameters were present in the aquarium, light, filter and others ... I'd throw a dice and say
-maybe the 90% water change reduced nutrients too much for the strong light
-maybe the plants were previously grown emersed
-were the leaves exposed to air too long ? was the water hot ?
- plants grew too much, became too dense and water circulation was reduced in that area

Things like this happen sometimes in new aquariums. Salvage what parts of the plant you, read alot on how to grow healthy aquatic plants and do not loose any sleep over it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Could be the new tank syndrome.
Have one old aqua clear 20 running. Even though its a dirted tank, like someone mentioned the nutrients are not readily available on the beginning. Which make sense, the melting happened when I did a 90% water change with decholorinated tap water, initial water changes I used my bare bottom gold fish tank.

On salvaging, I see growth on all the stem except one. I cleared all the bad leaves. I am kind of reluctant to touch it too much.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update.

So L.Repens which was melting has been established pretty good.

This is a trimming of the same which is in my new tank under Planted+ which is growing way much better.

And I happened to see a version of the Ludwigiya sp. named as Ludwigiya BroadLeaf at "Petland discount". And it looked way more red than the one I had. So I bought it thinking it could be Ludwigiya Red.

Please help me identify.
You can see both in this picture.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
What is that white stuff on the surface of the ludwigia? Does it come off easily, or is that discolored leaf tissue? Any chance of a close up photo?

That species is not ludwigia red (which has magenta/blood red leaves top & bottom even in low light, I have some of it in my tank). Your plant looks like normal L. repens to me. L. Ovalis has huge leaves so I don't think it is that one.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What is that white stuff on the surface of the ludwigia? Does it come off easily, or is that discolored leaf tissue? Any chance of a close up photo?

That species is not ludwigia red (which has magenta/blood red leaves top & bottom even in low light, I have some of it in my tank). Your plant looks like normal L. repens to me. L. Ovalis has huge leaves so I don't think it is that one.
Lol.... I wish I had a closeup pic. As the title mentions, all the new Ludwigia melted, in both tanks. I threw most of it, I have healthy L. Repens, what a waste. My new order have Ludwigiya .Red

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.