The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I am going to want one of these plants in my 75, but I feel like they are very similar in appearance and would look redundant in the same tank. Which one would you say is a better plant to have in a tank, and what would you note as the differences between these species in terms of color, growth, and just how well it does for you.

I'm also kinda feeling that both of these also are relativly similar in style to some of the ludwigia inclinata varieties. Though I feel those still have some more differences between them than these two plants have between each other.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
L. aromatica is easier to grow and it's easier to get more color with it than p stellatus. But under optimal conditions it comes down to what noahma said.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
L. aromatica is easier to grow and it's easier to get more color with it than p stellatus. But under optimal conditions it comes down to what noahma said.
So, basically, under a hi-tech situation then stellatus would be a bit more ideal due to growth pattern, but under anything less than aromatica would be ideal due to being able to do better?

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
I would also recommend the broad leaf version of Pogostemon stellatus over Limnophila aromatica. I really liked how it always grew upright and how it branched heavily. Neither of these plants looks very nice when they're trimmed though (compared to any Rotala species, for example), which i think is the only major downside to keeping either one of them.

Here's a photo of Pogostemon stellatus 'broad leaf' (left) and Pogostemon stellatus 'narrow leaf' (right) in my 90G when it was set up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts