The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few pics of some tiny new pleco's that have just become free-swimming. Breeding them was easy enough, not too sure raising the fry will be though. It's tough to get an autofocus point-and-shoot camera to take decent closeup shots. It always wants to focus on something deeper in the tank than the front glass, but I did manage to get a couple:

Look very closely in the middle of the pic:

Here's 3 (1 out of focus) hanging on the Najas, left side:

Finally, 2 on the back glass, note their size relative to the airline tube:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Congrats on the spawn! Do you have pics of the parents?
Water params? Details!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Congrats on the spawn! Do you have pics of the parents?
Water params? Details!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Congrats!!:bounce: not sure if I want to get some of these, or a species of ansistrus thats been recently imported into NZ
from what I have read the red colouration comes from something in their diets and starts when they are young... What ever it is its in BBS, so you could try feeding them a lot of that (also read that the pure L-10a prefer protein and/or live foods)

awesome pics as well btw:icon_mrgr

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a fairly recent pic of a gravid female, and a few older pics from when I received them. They've grown a bit since then.

Water is hard (not sure exact ppm, but relatively high.) I use coral to buffer the pH in all my tanks so it's around 7.6, temp in their breeding tank is 78. About a week after they spawned I moved the pvc tube with daddy red and the eggs into a 10 gallon tank. They stayed with him until they absorbed the yolk sacs, then scattered through the tank. I returned daddy and the tube to the 38 for the next round. I believe there are 2m/5f in the group. Their diet is mainly NLS 1mm cichlid pellets, spirulina flake, and canned veggies once weekly. The 38 also houses quite an overload of juvie BN pleco's and ramshorn snails. Water quality is supported by a huge mass of hornwort and duckweed. There are also some recently added cherry shrimp in the tank that seem to be doing well. I see a number of growing young ones, and the females are very dark, solid red in color.
The 10 gallon fry tank has the same substrate, but contains Najas indica rather than hornwort. The Najas grows better than hornwort under the standard strip light on the 10 IME.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Presently clouding the water several times daily with microworms, not sure it's doing any good though. The wee buggers mostly hang out on the Najas, almost never see one on the sand (where the worms eventually end up.) I have some brine shrimp eggs, will decap them if/when the fry start feeding from the sand or on the sponge filters.
I've seen BN fry stay in the cave with the father for several days after absorbing their yolk sacs. There isn't anything to eat in there, but none of them starve before they do finally scatter through the tank. I'm wondering whether the lizard fry will take a couple days to start foraging as well. As tiny as they are there should be enough biofilm in the 10 to support them for a little while.
Their body/tail doesn't appear to move when they swim. With their elongated shape and small fins they look like nano sharks in motion.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not really, though even the BN juvies grow quite nicely on the NLS grow and cichlid pelllets. The adults don't show as much interest in the canned vegetables or zucchini as the BN either. They'll eat some when available, but they don't jump on it.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Congrats on the spawn Todd! They look terrific! Do the adults eat zucchini?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The adults don't seem as eager for veggies as the BN, but will eat them when available. I dropped in some canned asparagus earlier today. The BN moved in quickly, while the lizards mainly went for some smaller bits on the hob filter intake sponge. I have some zucchini in the freezer, will thaw some out next week and see if they like it better. The BN seem to prefer the canned veggies, possibly because they smell more strongly.

I got the group from Invertzfactory on an aquabid auction in June of last year. They were good-size then, I was expecting smaller juvies from the auction listing description. I've gotten fish from Pedro several times, never any losses or problems.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have brine shrimp eggs on hand, will decap some when the fry start scrounging the sand for food. They're still hanging on the Najas and tank sides, though I have seen a couple actively feeding now.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's now been about 10 days since they became free-swimming, They've been actively feeding for at least a week (didn't eat for the first few days, just hung around the tank) and are growing quickly. Some are quite noticeably larger than others, but overall they seem to be doing well. I've been feeding them microworms and finely crushed spirulina flake alternately. Between the twice daily feedings they graze constantly on the biofilm in the tank. I added more Najas; along with helping maintain water quality it provides considerably more surface area for algae and whatever else they scavenge.

The adults have been busy too. More eggs, though not as many as the last spawn, and there's at least one more very gravid female that should be spawning soon:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
That's an awesome pic, the one with the big eggs in it!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Updated pics, the wee buggers are now through their first month and still growing like weeds. They're measuring 5/8"-3/4", naturally some are a bit larger than others.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The first batch of fry have been moved out of the 10 and into the 38 with the breeding group. Finally got a head count, total of 37 from .75-1" long. The 2nd and 3rd spawns were both small, like the above pics, and the eggs disappeared within a few days of spawning. The 4th spawn was much larger, looks like several females contributed to the egg mass. The tube containing the eggs and the male were moved into the 10 gallon tank 10 days after spawning, and hatched less than 36 hours later. There is now another small clutch of eggs in the tube, and it appears that they will make it as well. No clue what happened with the 2 spawns that disappeared, but it seems the male has his job sorted out now.
Here's a few pics of the first round of fry in the transfer container en route to the 38:

I found this precocious little bugger in the 38 when I moved the larger fry, yolk sac already gone. Apparently there was at least one egg that hatched significantly earlier than the rest.

Quite a difference in size after 8-9 weeks. At their current growth rate they should be ready to move along sometime this spring.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts