The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Sleek job. I like the aluminum. Gives it a contemporary feel.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Looks pretty neat so far!

Won't welding discolor the metal? Unless you're planning on painting the frame afterwards, it might be more practical to silicone it together.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you can weld a skinny little piece of aluminum, then that would be coolest IMO. I've never welded anything before - let alone aluminum - but I would guess that it would be extremely difficult.

Won't welding discolor the metal?
Aluminum does not corrode/oxidize like steel does. So a good aluminum weld looks really nice without needing to be painted.

Awesome tank, Ky. That aluminum is a nice touch.

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you can weld a skinny little piece of aluminum, then that would be coolest IMO. I've never welded anything before - let alone aluminum - but I would guess that it would be extremely difficult.

Aluminum does not corrode/oxidize like steel does. So a good aluminum weld looks really nice without needing to be painted.

Awesome tank, Ky. That aluminum is a nice touch.
Actually aluminum oxidizes the instant it hits air, forming a thin layer of aluminum oxide that is impervious to most things. That's why it doesn't rust.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks for the link from utahaquatics

Since the tank is so small, I don't think you even need to frame it. Unless that's the look you're going for. I'm sure you've seen my 13" rimless thread (there's a link to it in the plant section of utahaquatics)

Looking good though!

ERiK

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since the tank is so small, I don't think you even need to frame it. Unless that's the look you're going for. I'm sure you've seen my 13" rimless thread (there's a link to it in the plant section of utahaquatics)
Looking good though!
ERiK
Thanks. The frame is for looks, to protect the glass, and to protect me from cutting myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.