The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a member of the "Can't leave my tank alone for more than a few months" club. Thus, I have rescaped, though this one didn't happen due to boredom. My last scape was sabotaged by a couple of saimese algae eaters that like to eat new growth on fissidens. So sadly my last vision never came together and now I have a new one. The SAE's went to my buddy's tank today and I got the new hardscape more or less completed. I went back to a stumpy look with this one and I really like it. No plants yet but I plan to get it covered in a lot of fissidens. I'm contemplating putting some nljf in there but I don't want to take away from the hardscape too much. One way or the other its not finished yet but here are some quick and dirty phone pics. The water hasn't even settled yet but I'm proud of it and I couldnt resist :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
I like the stump look, I've seen it on a few tanks around here lately. Is anything in there with the angels?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah there are
8 dwarf chain loaches
2 farlowellas
2 corydoras melanistius
1 rubberlip pleco
1 reticulated hillstream loach
And 2 danio kyathit

I did have 6 angels but I lost 4 in my recent move unfortunately. I'm planning on getting a school of something but I don't know what yet or have the money atm.

·
Returning. Videotapes.
1,389 Posts
I think that it looks great! all you need is some dwarf sag and some sword plants... you would have a great South American tank. I wouldn't even bother with NLJF. Sometimes the minimalist approach is more dramatic, you know?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The minimalistic look was what I was going with before and I think I'm gonna do the same this go round. The wood and rocks look really good by themsleves and once its mossy, I hope it gets mossy anyway, it will look like I want it. I just have a bunch of nljf in the ten gallon below the 55 that I don't have a use for lol.

I do want a carpet I'm just too broke for co2 and I don't want stuff that's really tall like dwarf sag gets. I was thinking I could get by with some MM and diy co2 buts its hard to keep it buried in larger grain sizes and having bottom feeders. Maybe a rotala green "carpet" would work if I kept it trimmed but I don't any of that either :)

If anyone want to trade r . Green for ludwigia brevipes x lacustris or nlfj let me know.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Small update with another phone pic. I planted a bunch of ludwigia to keep algae at bay while I get things figured out. I got an aquatop 300 last year but haven't used it because the flow wasn't enough. So I got a koralia 850 today to keep things moving in the tank and im going to get the canister set up this weekend. So long noisy hob filters! My hope is with the canister and koralia I can hook up diy co2 without having to worry about it being gassed out by the hob's and get a carpet growing.

I still have to attach my fissidens to the rest of the wood and the plan is to have rotala green as the background/midground and I want to try elatine triandra for foreground. The success of that plan is contingent on how well I'm able to supply co2 with a diy set up. I havent had good luck with it in this tank during previous attempts but I'm hoping gettng rid of the hob's will alleviate the problem. Thanks for checking out the tank :)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pieces like mine aren't easy to come by anywhere. And that's because its actually about 13 individual pieces of malaysian that I've collected over the last 4 or 5 years, they just happened to come together perfectly this time ;) I do have a pretty nice collection of wood I have found locally though. I live in a town with an awesome fishery, dubbed the walleye capital of the world but thats not even the half of it, and it would be wrong of me not to fish in good ol lake erie as much as possible and keep an eye out for sweet pieces of dw while I'm at it.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh and I got my canister set up today. It took entirely way too long to get it primed but its totally worth being rid of the loudest filters known to man. I might not even be able to sleep because its so quiet now lol.

Soon as I get a few extra bucks I want to try diy acrylic pipes because the green crap the aquatops come with is hideous.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Those are awesome stumps. How did you even find one like those ? like seriously, did you cut off them/ fix them up or that how they look when you found them ( if you bought them then nvm lol :p)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I got the hob's taken down and my aquatop hooked up a few days ago. With the koralia its nearly the perfect amount of flow, no dead spots. I still have to cut the hoses down and it will probably be just right. I tied some moss on today. Didnt get to all of it but only a couple pieces to go. Tying moss on funny shaped wood is an art all its own. I also tweaked the left side stump a little

As of now my plan is a glosso carpet and hydro japan growing up into the stumps. Maybe a single stem species in there in places if it looks right. I've always wanted to try true rotala indica so maybe I will give it a go.

I'm strapped for cash at the moment unfortunately. not so unfortunately its because I went back to school and my little girl is getting a baby brother any day now :) Im going to let my moss grow over the winter and try to get my keei back in good shape so I can sell them for hobby cash and get the plants I need for my vision to come to life. For now I have to wait :)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I want to either buy or make an acrylic intake with a surface skimmer and outflow be it either a lily style or spraybar but thats for the future as well.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
This is one of the better, if not the best, of the stump scapes I've seen show up lately. Very nice positioning, it's nice that you've still got some angle worked into the sides of your stumps.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts