The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many people out there own Kuhli loaches?
Out of those who own/had them what kind did you have?

I have 6 Kuhli's I know a few are the Giant's and afew just the normal kuhli's. But Im looking for the albino and black ones. Im determined to find them one day XD

For those of you out there with out Kuhli's what kind of loach do you own if any? Or what kind would you like?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I had ten. Four left due to series of CO2 and water parameter issues last year.:( I had the black one.;) No picture though as I could not see him often. I have not seen the albino.

The other loaches I have are Botia almorhae and Chromobotia macracanthus.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have 3 black khuli loaches that were just added to the tank yesterday. As soon as they went in, they disappeared in the wisteria 'jungle'. Some people on the board have mentioned you'll barely see them in a planted tank. I love 'em. Neat little critters.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah Im looking for Some "Unusuall" kuhlis to add tomy kuhli collection.
The ones I got the tank said Giant Kuhli's but I believe there is actually the giant and normals in the tanks. A few of them I believe to be females [fatter then the other] are 4"long and 1.5" tall. I ALWAYS see atleast 3 of my 6 kuhli's. They are SO cute. They also love to do a kind of dance where they will swim head to head to the top and then down, over and over. Iv heard its the way they spawn? but Iv never seen any eggs, but its still very neat.

·
Registered
234 Posts
wow. at work ( the lfs) we order all kinds of kuhlis! i feel sorry for you that you cant find any differnt ones! :(

good luck
jordan

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I would just add that I love my 3 kuhlis. I don't see 'em too much, but when I do it's a treat. they are great at burying themselves into the sand and poking their little heads out lol. I just have the standard breed I think, similar to

taken from Brettb.Com Main Page

they also just survived a horrible move, it wasn't too long but I forgot to plug the heater back in at their new resting place. so, they dealt with ~60F temperatures for 40+ hours! tough little guys, that's for sure. :icon_cool

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I have two of the black Kuhli's. Can't find the striped kind in my area. They are really cool fish. In the middle of the day I'll turn the lights out and drop some food in just to see them come out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I used to have kuhlis, but unfortunately they died. I now have 5 zebra loaches in my 20g. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them! I been wanting some for so long and no one around me ever got them in. But I found them at Wal-Mart, of all places, and got 'em for under $4 each, which I considered a deal. I'd like more kuhlis some time, but I have no place for them right now.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The other loaches I LOVE are the Clowns but I won't ever own them, they just get too big X(

I don't really see my kuhlis bury into the subtrate anymore.Maybe its beacuse I know have Eco and not just the sand? But they do love the bogwood, but once my kribs start breeding they won't be there for long.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a handful of kuhli's, both the banded and black ones. I've noticed that the black ones are slightly bigger and seem to dart around the tank more, and the banded ones seem to stick to a smaller area, around their favorite stuff.
Both seem to love the generic algae wafers I feed them from time to time, they go nuts over them.
My banded ones spend more time under logs and rocks than the black ones, and I've never seen any of them in the sand, thought they will dig in it with their faces and kick it up. It could be that I had them in a flourite tank for a long time before they moved to sand.

Do others find that they bury themselves in sand?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.