The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
That's not a good idea. The Kuhlis will more than likely eat the shrimp. Even if you have a heavily planted tank, the Kuhlis are expert at worming their way into, under, and around things. My Kuhlis actually nosed out a tunnel under a large piece of driftwood to den up in. They only came out to eat and do the Loachie Dance. Your big shrimp might be okay but the babies are gonna be dinner.

Chan

·
Banned
628 Posts
One of my Amano Shrimp was chasing my Angelfish today. It was harassing my female Betta the other day. It tried to take her food away from her. But I don't know. I have a bad feeling about Kuhli Loaches tankmating with Cherry Shrimps. My Zebra Loach ate every last snail in three of my tanks. I know snails aren't shrimp but still. There was no quarter shown.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's not a good idea. The Kuhlis will more than likely eat the shrimp. Even if you have a heavily planted tank, the Kuhlis are expert at worming their way into, under, and around things. My Kuhlis actually nosed out a tunnel under a large piece of driftwood to den up in. They only came out to eat and do the Loachie Dance. Your big shrimp might be okay but the babies are gonna be dinner.

Chan
What fish would you recommend in the shrimp tank?

One of my Amano Shrimp was chasing my Angelfish today. It was harassing my female Betta the other day. It tried to take her food away from her. But I don't know. I have a bad feeling about Kuhli Loaches tankmating with Cherry Shrimps. My Zebra Loach ate every last snail in three of my tanks. I know snails aren't shrimp but still. There was no quarter shown.
What fish would you recommend?

I keep them with cherry shrimp. Adults are doing great. Fantastic

I havnt seen any babies in a while tho

Sent from my SM-A215U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
With cherry shrimp, i am currently keeping neon tetras, but if I removed the kuhli loaches, I would I have better success with babies.

If I was planning the tank around cherry shrimp, I'd definitely add some celestial pearl danios and some honey gouramis.

If you're into them, endlers would be an option.

Snails are always a cool option

I've seen someone keep some pea puffers with with RCS, but you gotta be pretty lucky to get some peaceful pea puffers. So it might take some time of constantly switching puffers with your LFS or someone until you get a peaceful few

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,
can Kuhlii Loach be kept with Cherry Shrimp?
Tha
With cherry shrimp, i am currently keeping neon tetras, but if I removed the kuhli loaches, I would I have better success with babies.

If I was planning the tank around cherry shrimp, I'd definitely add some celestial pearl danios and some honey gouramis.

If you're into them, endlers would be an option.

Snails are always a cool option

I've seen someone keep some pea puffers with with RCS, but you gotta be pretty lucky to get some peaceful pea puffers. So it might take some time of constantly switching puffers with your LFS or someone until you get a peaceful few

Ok, How would these go together? Cherry Shrimp, Sucking Catfish, Male Cobra Green Guppy, Neon Tetra and Pearl Danio?

·
Registered
70 Posts
When you say sucking catfish, do you mean Gyrinocheilus aymonieri, siamese algae eater, or a pleco?

Based on your stocking, I would say your tank isn't big enough for a pleco, and also, plecos would eat the shrimp.

If you're talking about the Gyrin., I cant say much cause I dint have experience with them in my research, it looks like they're strictly algae eaters, but I won't be too hasty to say they wouldn't eat a shrimp if it can fit in their mouth.

If you're talking about the SAE, your baby shrimp will be an opportunistic snack for the SAE. The SAE is an avid algae eater as a juvenile, but as it grows into an adult, it moves onto more substantial substances. It won't hunt the RCS out, but it won't not eat a small baby if gets the chance.

If you want to keep a SAE, then I suggest shaping your tank with plenty of hiding places. River pebbles and dense vegetation always worked phenomenally for me.

However, depending on what your tank size will be, a SAE might be too big.

If you want to eliminate all possibility of shrimp getting eaten, and keep an algae eating shrimp, Otocinclus are the way to go. Look fantastic, stay small, super chill, and as with 99% of fish, always do better in groups.

As for your other fish, I would say guppies are small enough to not eat adult shrimp. But baby shrimp are tiny, so if the guppy comes across a baby shrimp, it will eat him. But, I've had good success in breeding RCS with guppies and platties cause I had plenty of hiding space for the babies (river pebble layer with dense vegetation).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
When you say sucking catfish, do you mean Gyrinocheilus aymonieri, siamese algae eater, or a pleco?

Based on your stocking, I would say your tank isn't big enough for a pleco, and also, plecos would eat the shrimp.

If you're talking about the Gyrin., I cant say much cause I dint have experience with them in my research, it looks like they're strictly algae eaters, but I won't be too hasty to say they wouldn't eat a shrimp if it can fit in their mouth.

If you're talking about the SAE, your baby shrimp will be an opportunistic snack for the SAE. The SAE is an avid algae eater as a juvenile, but as it grows into an adult, it moves onto more substantial substances. It won't hunt the RCS out, but it won't not eat a small baby if gets the chance.

If you want to keep a SAE, then I suggest shaping your tank with plenty of hiding places. River pebbles and dense vegetation always worked phenomenally for me.

However, depending on what your tank size will be, a SAE might be too big.

If you want to eliminate all possibility of shrimp getting eaten, and keep an algae eating shrimp, Otocinclus are the way to go. Look fantastic, stay small, super chill, and as with 99% of fish, always do better in groups.

As for your other fish, I would say guppies are small enough to not eat adult shrimp. But baby shrimp are tiny, so if the guppy comes across a baby shrimp, it will eat him. But, I've had good success in breeding RCS with guppies and platties cause I had plenty of hiding space for the babies (river pebble layer with dense vegetation).

the fish is a Gyrinocheilus aymonieri

·
Registered
502 Posts
What fish would you recommend in the shrimp tank?
I am of the opinion that if you want a prosperous shrimp tank, you should not have any fish in said tank. Shrimp are near the bottom of the food chain in their ecosystem and sort of play the same part that the rabbit does on land. A fish will suck up food that is too large to swallow and spit it out, only to suck it up again, over and over, until it breaks apart into yummy bite sized pieces. I keep shrimp only tanks but each to their own.

Reactions: NapTeamCaptain
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.