The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok need to get rid of these snails.... My LFS has about 30 Kuhli loaches but only one clown loach.... which would be most effective? I've read that the Kuhli loach are not to good in planted tanks?

If I do go with the Kuhli then about how many should I need for a 75 gal tank?

thanks

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I haven't had good luck at all with kuhli loaches eating snails. Clowns do a great job, but you really need more than one. They aren't happy unless they are in groups. I'd say you need to wait til your LFS gets more clown loaches or maybe you can order online. :D

·
Registered
575 Posts
IMO, neither. Kuhli loaches can be difficult to acclimatize- and they don't travel well. They also prefer a very sandy substrate in which to burrow. Clown loaches can get very large, larger than you might want in a 75. I'd go with botia striata, or my favourite, botia dario (bengal, or sometimes called queen's loach). I've got 2 in my 180, had them close to 5 years, they max out at about 2 - 2.5 inches or so, and there's nothing but empty shells in my tank. Plus they're mighty entertaining little critters, often sleeping on their side. Regardless, you need more than one to keep them happy.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
no loach will rid your tank of snails.. Some might eat them but will not eradicate the problem. Try not over feeding and removing/killing manually.

Now, you can get the kuhlis and other small botias because they have great personalities. Clown loaches needs a 100+G tank.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have the clown loach/dwarf chain loach on my small tank. They do eat snails but they do not eat certain varieties like the smaller flat ones I got. I agree with Mr Green as manual removal/crushing them would be a great idea and avoid overfeeding. Kuhli looks very cool though.:D

·
Registered
575 Posts
no loach will rid your tank of snails.. Some might eat them but will not eradicate the problem. Try not over feeding and removing/killing manually.

Now, you can get the kuhlis and other small botias because they have great personalities. Clown loaches needs a 100+G tank.
This tank is what... 3 weeks old? I can't imagine it being so overloaded with snails already that 3 or 4 Bengal Loaches couldn't get it under control. I only have 2 in my 180, got them initially for an 86g that had a heavy snail infestation- did a bang up job.
On a side note, and I haven't looked at the plant load so don't jump on me yet, loaches do require pretty clean water, so if there are any cycling issues that need to be addressed, I'd do that before adding loaches.

·
Registered
483 Posts

hmmm, I have a couple clowns that could rid any size tank of snails in a matter of days! I would go as far to say even a large pond. All they would do is get bigger and fatter. I guess there might be some type of snails they dont like, but not in my tanks!
Thats my experience anyway, I guess I should note these clowns are almost 10 years old, so that might make a difference also.
md

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Well, get loaches because you can catered to their needs not to get them as snail removers. Some of them are obnoxious too so they're not the greatest community tank fish.

I have b. histrionica. They do eat snails but they only eat certain snails at certain size. They leave the babies alone. Yes, I feed them large rams horn snails among other things. They're omnivores that need a variety of foods.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Very true mistergreen!
Using them to rid a tank of snails is kind of silly.
They are obnoxious, even to me and I feed em he he :). I have open top tanks and they are very adept at splashing water out when they are excited before and during feeding time. They also enjoy kicking or lifting each other and or other fish out of they way when feeding.
md!

·
Registered
931 Posts
some people have great luck with kuhlis, some people just dont. IMO, its a hit-or-miss kind of thing. i have two right now, and i love them! they keep down my snail problems and are really fun to watch. I almost never see them because i only have two, but if you get three or four or five, supposedly they are much less scared and they come out and do all sorts of silly things.

kuhlis will eat the small snails and eggs, so you wont have any that will get big, but larger loaches will eat bigger snails, so as soon as the little ones are big, they'll be gone. its two different ways to maintain the same problem.

also, i (sort of) disagree that clown loaches need a 100+g tank. they grow SO SLOWLY that you could keep one for a really long time before it really needs a different tank. at that point, the fish will be 10-12 years old anyway, and most tanks dont last that long because you either go broke from overdoing the hobby, your fish will get a disease, or you'll start getting into something else and maybe not have plants anymore, so there will be more room for the fish and less for him to destroy.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Very true mistergreen!
Using them to rid a tank of snails is kind of silly.
They are obnoxious, even to me and I feed em he he :). I have open top tanks and they are very adept at splashing water out when they are excited before and during feeding time. They also enjoy kicking or lifting each other and or other fish out of they way when feeding.
md!
Oh, I'm talking about the real obnoxious stuff like eating tank mates and sucking out their eye balls. Don't get me wrong, I love them but you have to do your research.

also, i (sort of) disagree that clown loaches need a 100+g tank. they grow SO SLOWLY that you could keep one for a really long time before it really needs a different tank. at that point, the fish will be 10-12 years old anyway, and most tanks dont last that long because you either go broke from overdoing the hobby, your fish will get a disease, or you'll start getting into something else and maybe not have plants anymore, so there will be more room for the fish and less for him to destroy.
Best to keep 5+ clowns. They are slow growers but people stuff them in small tanks which stun their growth. So it seems like they're really slow growers, maybe an inch or 2 a year until they're 14" long. To be honest, lfs should stop selling clowns unless people can prove they have a 100+G tank. I've seen too many clowns stuffed into a 10G tank. Same for any monster fish actually.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Best to keep 5+ clowns. They are slow growers but people stuff them in small tanks which stun their growth. So it seems like they're really slow growers, maybe an inch or 2 a year until they're 14" long. To be honest, lfs should stop selling clowns unless people can prove they have a 100+G tank. I've seen too many clowns stuffed into a 10G tank. Same for any monster fish actually.
x2 to that.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Botia striata (zebra loach), Botia kubotai (or 'Angelicus loach' as Petsmart calls it:icon_roll ) both eat snails and are wonderful tankmates. My real snail-eater though is my B. modesta! He can eat large MTS regardless of their operculum--he just creates a back door my biting through the tip...it's kind of freaky. :icon_cool

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
IMO, you can't go wrong with Yo-Yos for snail removal. The one I have is about 5 years old & around 4", but he doesn't bother anybody, not even the Discus. He's got a great "personality", too.

Tommy

·
Registered
357 Posts
^^He'd have a much better personality if he wasn't isolated without his own kind.

Well, get loaches because you can catered to their needs not to get them as snail removers. Some of them are obnoxious too so they're not the greatest community tank fish.
X2! ^^
Do your research! I recommend a visit to loaches.com. You'll learn that there are many different loach species with different requirements. Botine species should be kept in social groups of 5 or more. Y. Modesta can get BIG and MEAN! Clown loaches will need a 6ft tank within a year or two to prevent stunting. They're wonderful fish and deserve our best efforts towards their well-being.

·
Registered
19 Posts
IMO, you can't go wrong with Yo-Yos for snail removal. The one I have is about 5 years old & around 4", but he doesn't bother anybody, not even the Discus. He's got a great "personality", too.

Tommy
I only have experience with the YoYo (Botia almorhae) and the Weather/Dojo (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus) loach. In my experience both are good in community tanks. The YoYo's go crazy for snails, but the Weather loach could care less.

I agree with Tommy, the YoYo's have a great personality, I currently have 2 juvenile YoYo's in with my large female betta. The YoYo's and betta are constantly interacting with each other, and get along great. Watching the betta grab the algae wafer and play keep away with the YoYo's is hilarious.

As for snails I have started putting all my new plants I get in there to acclimate to my water conditions and it's amazing how many snails the YoYo's pick out. I have yet to see a live snail in that tank, only the empty shells. I don't keep the loaches specifically for snails, as I don't particularly mind them, but if you needed to keep an infestation in check they might be an option.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Oh, I'm talking about the real obnoxious stuff like eating tank mates and sucking out their eye balls. Don't get me wrong, I love them but you have to do your research.

IMHO lfs should stop selling 10 gal tanks also.

And why is it best to keep 5 + clowns and not 2+ or 3+.... who comes up with these numbers and what do they base it on?

And 5+ clowns that can grow to over a foot long is ok for a 100 gal tank or larger?

What a spirited discussion! :icon_wink

md

·
Registered
357 Posts
Botia and misgurnus are not good tankmates as they require very different water temps.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-almorhae
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/weather-loach-misgurnis-anguillicaudatus

And why is it best to keep 5 + clowns and not 2+ or 3+.... who comes up with these numbers and what do they base it on
People who have been keeping and observing these fish for many years.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Clown loaches grow extremely slowly. There is a reason 8"+ clown loaches are really rare and cost about $100 each. A 75 is fine, if you still have the loaches in a decade you may want to get a larger tank though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts