The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been all over the internet and have accumulated vast amounts of dis-jointed info, but maybe someone here can help me put it together.
I'm re-entering the aquarium world after some time away and I'd like to re-start my 29 gallon with live plants (I'd had gravel bottom, potted or plastic plants before). Can I do a two inch layer of flourite or similar with a of dark sand or similar on top of it? And how would a digger/burrower fish affect it--or be affected himself?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I had been considering Kuhlis for the past year and finally got 4 about 6 weeks ago. I always wondered if they would like Flourite, since it has rather sharp edges, and the material is heavy. I have them in a tank with Aquasoil, which I assume they like because it is round and lightweight.

However, I never see them burrow under the substrate like I've heard they are suppose to do. They just poke around, maybe moving a couple of pebbles out of the way to get at something underneath.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
i'd say just go all flourite, if you try to cap with anything with smaller grains, the larger flourite will naturally work its way to the top
X2. Fluorite works great by itself. They make it in black now, so that may be an alternatve to a sand cap.

Tommy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.