The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got 5 Kuhli loaches for my 55 gallon planted tank yesterday. This is my first time having a loach. They’ve mostly hid since I put them in but I did a small water change today and they came out and went absolutely nuts (going up and down the glass and flying across the tank). The parameters are Temperature - 75 degrees, Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, and Nitrate - 5. Ph is a bit to alkaline due to municipal water -7.4 but LFS is on the same water and has a similar ph. I did a small water change today because I lowered the water level when I drip acclimated them and it was splashing. I knew it might be a little stressful for new fish but didn’t think it be that big of a deal. The tank is lightly planted with swords, Anubias, and repens. I use Sera Toxivec as the dechlorinator (same as LFS). I poured the water in slowly rather than using my python cause they were freaking out so much. Did I do something wrong or is this just how Kuhli loaches act? Thanks for the advice!

Pick of tank for reference.
Water Plant Pet supply Fish supply Aquatic plant

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I would say that as long as you used the correct amount of dechlorinator for your water change they will be fine. When I had Kuhli loaches they acted the same way during a water change becoming more active and surfing the sides of the tank.

Reactions: JulieRasbora

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
477 Posts
For awhile one of mine would go nuts just before the lights started to dial down each night. It was funny and weird.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I won’t worry about it for now then. They all seem to have gone back to hiding now.

I would say that as long as you used the correct amount of dechlorinator for your water change they will be fine. When I had Kuhli loaches they acted the same way during a water change becoming more active and surfing the sides of the tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts