The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I keep going back to a Betta (probably because i'm stuck on a personable fish). Bio-load wise, it would be understocked which is always nice. I would have to order the Betta online, so i won't know the personality of it. I'm trying to not have too many fish in this tank and all of the ones i'm interested in seem to want a school/shoal to be happy. I guess it wouldn't really matter if i got a female or male Betta, aggression-wise? What about wild bettas? I can order a wild betta, but i know nothing about what kinds can be put in a community tank.

What about the orange lyretail killifish? Anyone know if one would be good?

·
Registered
921 Posts
I've got eight hasbrosus on order too! No where has them in stock here at the moment - one LFS said something about a vulcano causing shipping issues. Small but very cute and active. Probably sticking to the lower half of the tank.

A banjo would be fine with kuhli, but as mentioned not very active - you quite often just see a tail stuck out somewhere.

Platies tend toward mid to harder water so it depends what you have, if it's super soft they might not like it. They will multiple if you have males and females. Bright coloured, active and sticking to the top half mainly.

A fighter would be fine with normal sized kuhli, particularly with a planted tank. I've no experience with the small ones though.

It's really down to personal preference. Ask ten different people and they'll all stock differently.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
It's really down to personal preference. Ask ten different people and they'll all stock differently.
Very true. I'm sorry for all the questions, i've never had a community tank before and i don't know anyone with fish tanks to get advice from in my area. I've only ever kept single fish in their own tanks. Hence, why i'm so iffy on having different kinds of fish in multiples. Honestly, i don't think i'd like a school of nano fish, i'm really not into it.

My water is definitely not hard. My ph falls between 6.5-7. My lps is 15 minutes away though, so i'd assume the ph is relatively the same. The panda platies are pretty cute.

The only reason i'm hesitating on the Betta is because i like plakats, which can swim faster so i'm nervous of the Betta going after the Kuhlis and stressing them out.

I'm just looking for a fish that won't die in a year, is hardy, and some what peaceful.

·
Registered
921 Posts
It's ok, I don't mind vicarious fish selecting :)

Beta's will go after something the size of cherry shrimp, so I'm just not sure if they'd bother the dwarf kuhli or not.

If you go for all males you don't have to worry about platties multiplying. They are fairly adaptable so as long as your water isn't super soft should be ok - do you know your GH?

Cat fish will be your longest lived options. You could put a couple of banjo or stone catfish in to up the chances of spotting them.

You have to decide if you want something fairly active and colourful like the platty or that you just spot now and then. If you prefer the empty looking tank you spot an inhabitant in occasionally they'd fit in well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Honey gourami. they are super peaceful and behave much like a Betta (both are anabantoids) also they have bright colors and may even spawn for you in a covered planted aquarium (the fry need access to a layer of humid air that the cover will provide)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I don't currently have a GH/KH kit. I would like to pick one up in the new year, though. I just figure it's soft water because my ph is low. Pretty positive my lps doesn't separate males/females so that would be kind of risky, lol. Would the platies fight if i attempted to get 2-3 males? I wonder if it would be worth it to just get 1 platy.. don't know what else i'd put in with it though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Honey gourami. they are super peaceful and behave much like a Betta (both are anabantoids) also they have bright colors and may even spawn for you in a covered planted aquarium (the fry need access to a layer of humid air that the cover will provide)
+1, I would suggest Honey Gourami or Dwarf Gourami.

Although I'm a big fan of Platys too!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

This is my ph, i've never been able to pinpoint it.

Kind of back to square one now. All the platies at the store are too young to sex.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Honestly I don't know why you are so concerned about the betas personality as the kuhlis can easy fend him or her off as they are much faster and can hide like no other as they are basically a little noodle and can squeeze into the smallest places. I would say since you really want a centerpiece fish I would just do the beta and I don't see there being any problems even if he is a butt head.

Other little but nice fish are also a good option as you could so something that is close to the loaches like a Stiphodon goby as long as you have enough algae and then theres the cherry barb mentioned above that get crazy nice colors. Maybe a few male guppies of your favorite strain could work too. I wouldn't do a catfish unless you wanted dwarf cories. Otherwise it is really a personal question as fish live for a long time not like they die for no reason its often due to not feeding correctly as mentioned above about otos they eat algae and they are picky sometimes not eating wafers and will die also are wildcaught so they may be so stressed out by the time they get to you they never recover. I would say my favorite option with this would be a pair or trio of either wild beta or killifish as they are both small and stunners and fry might even make it if the tank is planted enough

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Honestly I don't know why you are so concerned about the betas personality as the kuhlis can easy fend him or her off as they are much faster and can hide like no other as they are basically a little noodle and can squeeze into the smallest places. I would say since you really want a centerpiece fish I would just do the beta and I don't see there being any problems even if he is a butt head.

Other little but nice fish are also a good option as you could so something that is close to the loaches like a Stiphodon goby as long as you have enough algae and then theres the cherry barb mentioned above that get crazy nice colors. Maybe a few male guppies of your favorite strain could work too. I wouldn't do a catfish unless you wanted dwarf cories. Otherwise it is really a personal question as fish live for a long time not like they die for no reason its often due to not feeding correctly as mentioned above about otos they eat algae and they are picky sometimes not eating wafers and will die also are wildcaught so they may be so stressed out by the time they get to you they never recover. I would say my favorite option with this would be a pair or trio of either wild beta or killifish as they are both small and stunners and fry might even make it if the tank is planted enough
I understand where you're coming from. I'm just being super cautious about my stocking and i don't want to get anything on impulse. Like mentioned, i'd have to order the Betta online and can't return if it doesn't work out. Do you have any experience with Killifish? I'm able to get Aphyosemion australe if that would work. My LPS has some that look like Gardneri but not sure, didn't check.

The Betta would be fine. A Ram would probably work nice as well.
German Blue Ram?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Like mentioned, i'd have to order the Betta online and can't return if it doesn't work out.
It sounds like you have a local fish shop just not with much range? You may well find they'd take a fish they hadn't sold in exchange for store credit if you did find it didn't work out - ask them. Mine takes spare fry and sometimes plants and I get a credit note.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It sounds like you have a local fish shop just not with much range? You may well find they'd take a fish they hadn't sold in exchange for store credit if you did find it didn't work out - ask them. Mine takes spare fry and sometimes plants and I get a credit note.
For some reason they don't really take care of the bettas. They take care of the fish in the tanks but not them, so they are never really that healthy. I have no LFS, just a pet shop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Male Bettas just aren't that fast. I've never kept kuhlis but they look way too fast and way too good at hiding to be threatened by a male Betta. I understand the females are faster, though.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Alright, i'm buying a ton of plants tomorrow to fill the tank more and i am warming up to the idea of schooling fish. What schooling fish could i get? I know cherry barbs and chili rasboras were mentioned. How many in a school?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts