The Planted Tank Forum banner

Kribs

696 Views 13 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  kamikazi
So I have a pair of Kribs in a 15 gallon.

They had been spawning every few weeks eating the eggs or fry not quite figuring it out.

Well with the most recent spawn the fry have lasted several weeks longer than usual The parents were working together to guard the kids or taking turns.

But the last few days I noticed the male has taken over guard duty and is chasing the female everywhere making her go to corners and leaving her to go back to the fry.

Should I pull her out of the tank? Any help is appreciated.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
well since no one has responded I decide to just leave things be and see what happens. She is still eating when she gets a chance, but her fins are starting getting tattered.
If you have another community or rest tank set up move her for a couple of weeks
I would think she may have a good try
hmm then I don't have anywhere else setup for her to go. I was planning on moving out the fry in a couple more weeks. They have been free swimming for at least two weeks. Hopefully she will hold out till then.
Put the eggs or fry in a net breeder. I did that with my kribs.
Are there other fish in there? If there are, the odds just aren't great. ONce they stop guarding them they will get eaten.

Remove the fry to a new tank after they're on their own. You won't have a great success rate but better than zero.

However, I must ask you.... what do you plan to do with the kribs? Since they sell for about 4 bucks here shops buy them for about 25 cents here.... and after you've grown them to two-3 inches you're out a LOT more than that per fish.
I dunno about that. My local petshop buys them at 3/4" for 2.50 each. Not a bad deal.
Are there other fish in there? If there are, the odds just aren't great. ONce they stop guarding them they will get eaten.

Remove the fry to a new tank after they're on their own. You won't have a great success rate but better than zero.

However, I must ask you.... what do you plan to do with the kribs? Since they sell for about 4 bucks here shops buy them for about 25 cents here.... and after you've grown them to two-3 inches you're out a LOT more than that per fish.
No other fish in the tank. Just the pair and the fry.

I read else where that after the fry are about a month old the parents will stop watching them and prepare to spawn again. And eventually chasing them b/ they are seen as a danger for the new spawn. I haven't got to that point yet, my plan was to wait for that to happen then move them out to their own tank.

I talked with one fish shop that sales them (I didn't notice their price) they were out of males so I decided to ask the manager. He said they would take them once they were and inch or two long. He didn't say how much payment or credit they would give. He said even if they couldn't take them to sale in the store they would still take them to find them homes.

Overstock why do you say I'd be out alot more than that per fish? There is the cost of food, but they have been eating flake and that's pretty cheap. There is the cost of the water for water changes, not sure how much that would be, but I wouldn't be using a large tank for a grow out, probably use the the spare 10 gallon or I thought about setting up a big tub on the porch for a grow out tank for them.
See less See more
Food, water, electricity, conditioner, time. People really underestimate breeding expenses.

Particularly when you have a low survival rate.

It is fun to breed, just realize that sometimes it can be hard to offload and fish usually don't have much of a profit if at all on the small scale. Particularly common fish.
Food, water, electricity, conditioner, time. People really underestimate breeding expenses.

Particularly when you have a low survival rate.

It is fun to breed, just realize that sometimes it can be hard to offload and fish usually don't have much of a profit if at all on the small scale. Particularly common fish.
I'm not looking to make a business out of it. This is probably just a one time lets see if we raise any from baby to adult experiment. I definitely dont have time to be dealing with this all the time.

of course if the it becomes a trend for the fry sticking around longer and the parents at each others throat during that time then I might have to consider just splitting the pair permanently.

I have a breeding pair of angelfish in my 29 and I don't have this same problem where the parents turn on each other. Of course they have a bunch of tetras to worry about instead, so maybe what I need to do is get some other fish for this tank to distract the male from the female.
I would take the fry out and put in your shrimp tank if you have nowhere else to put them. My male krib decided to kill the mother over night .
the fry would be ok with the shrimp except there are cherry barbs and harlequin rasboras that would love them as a snack.

so thats a no go
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.