The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a nice pic of my kribs, just thought i'd show em off just goes to show how beautiful they can be, the male is quite large. Anyway.. here we go.

Female:

Male:

Juveniles:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Those look great. I really liked keeping kribs a while back. The pair's interactions were entertaining and they were pretty fish. The downside was they were hard on their tank mates while constantly courting - maybe it would be different with a tank bigger than the 29 I had them in - and there were more fry than I could keep up with!

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Very cool :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great kribs you have there. Usually their colors are not as intense as in yours. Do you keep them with other fish or they have a dedicated tank?
They are in a 29 gallon with:

4 neon tetras
2 cardinal tetras
4 bloodfin tetras
2 cory sp.
1 albino bristlenose
1 black molly

·
Registered
203 Posts
Those are some nice looking kribs. They are fun to breed IME.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those are some nice looking kribs. They are fun to breed IME.

If only I could them to breed. For some reason I feel like they're not even trying. Tried live foods, frozen they have a cave, made their own as well. Still don't do much other then swim together.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If the pictured pot on its side is the cave you're referring to, you might try something less open. Mine liked an upside down pot with a hole knocked in the side that they could squeeze into so they had more privacy. At one point they had half a pot they'd swim under and lay the eggs on the inside ceiling.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the pictured pot on its side is the cave you're referring to, you might try something less open. Mine liked an upside down pot with a hole knocked in the side that they could squeeze into so they had more privacy. At one point they had half a pot they'd swim under and lay the eggs on the inside ceiling.

Good tip! This is a 3 inch pot I would say, how big of a notch would you say? Only thing I'm worried about is the cave they dug is under the pot lol, I have no idea if they have eggs or anything.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My german rams really seemed to get in the mood after big water changes. Might work for your kribs too.
I do probably about 50-60% changes every week, cooler water as well to try and simulate a "rainy" season. still to no avail.. hopefully the pot idea will work

·
Registered
987 Posts
Well, I already know the answer but what the heck, I'll ask anyway. Can these possibly be kept with shrimp...? I just read up on them and they sound really fascinating.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I already know the answer but what the heck, I'll ask anyway. Can these possibly be kept with shrimp...? I just read up on them and they sound really fascinating.
i had a previous pair that left the shrimp alone for the most part, but being a cichlid, if they could get ahold of a baby shrimp they'd definitely take it

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good tip! This is a 3 inch pot I would say, how big of a notch would you say? Only thing I'm worried about is the cave they dug is under the pot lol, I have no idea if they have eggs or anything.
If they haven't used the cave they dug under the pot, I wouldn't worry about it. One or the other of them must not like it under there if they haven't used it by now. The hole could be made wide and short like a mail slot, even if it means they have to turn sideways to swim in, or it could be a round hole about their height. Mine once spawned inside a fake wood ornament's base - they had to squeeze under the ornament to get in there.

One thing I didn't have when I had kribs was Cichlid Stones. My plecos spawn in them. I bet the kribs would love 'em.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts