The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I purchased two female kribensis a few days ago. One began chasing the other relentlessly and today I found the chased crib dead at the bottom of the tank with her belly chewed out.

Now the remaining crib is chasing my other fish.

My question for experienced kirbensis keepers: Will this behavior end? I got two females hoping to avoid the violent breeding behavior that these fish are known for. Also if this behavior does end, is it ok to keep one of these fish by itself?

Here's the setup: 26 gallon bow front, planted. 6 Neon Tetras, 1 Dwarf Flame Gourami, 6 Blue Eyed Forktailed Rainbow Fish, 2 Otos, 2 Nerite Snails. Driftwood and hiding spaces available.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Too small of a tank, I had a 4 inch male that almost killed a dwarf gourami after it was harrased by it, other than that is was peaceful. This is in a 55. My guess is that it feels crowded and needs space.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it keeps up, I may try to take her to the fish shop. I'd like a peaceful tank if possible. Any suggestions for an interesting replacement for the Kribs? I have been interested in Pearl Gourami's but can never find them.

Bump: P.S. Or Licorice Gourami's

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
.. I have been interested in Pearl Gourami's but can never find them.

Bump: P.S. Or Licorice Gourami's
Where do you live? I saw some nice pearl Gouramis at two different LFSs in my area. PM me if you live near Philadelphia and I'll sent you the info. I'm not sure how the forum people are about posting LFSs that are not sponsors.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
How many hiding spots does your tank offer? The less cover and security, the more the chances for aggression.

They generally stop persuit if the less dominant fish goes into a cave or hiding spot.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Could you elaborate?

I've never kept them, but I know one of my blue rams killed the other one. My pair ended up not wanting to be a pair after awhile. That's my dwarf cichlid experience.
They're just on a different level as far as aggression is concerned IMO. I've kept Rams, apistos and several other dwarf cichlids and the kribs have been by far the most aggressive of the bunch. They are especially aggressive when spawning.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2 larger spots that could be used by the Krib. She's using one of them. They are driftwood and each one has two entrances. Maybe something with only one entrance would be better.

This morning she (The krib), has been less aggressive and the Dwarf Flame Gourami seems to be flexing his muscles a bit.

The crib still lunges a bit at the Otocinclus. I plan to monitor and if things don't get better by the end of the week away goes the krib.

Bump: Also DaveK, I'm in Saint Louis, so Philly is bit too far. Thanks though!

I'm wondering if a pair of pearl gouramis would be cramped in this setup now anyways. Could be that the Dwarf Flame gourami should be my only "Big Fish".

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
There is a good chance that adding any more gouramis will cause fighting. Dwarf Flame G's are aggressive and usually need to be singular unless the tank is over 55g. You can hold dwarf gouramis together for a few weeks sometimes, before the fighting starts. But once it starts, it never ends until one is dead, or you remove one. They are tricky, and seem to get along fine for weeks but then as they establish territory and become more familiar with surroundings, they start hitting each other.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I love kribensis. This thread makes me want to set up tank just for a pair. I agree with everyone else that they can be surprisingly aggressive at times. I never had bad luck with my former pairs in a 30 gallon community tank, though.

I would suggest a badis species if you want the behavior of a dwarf cichlid without the aggression. Most species are quite small, but they are bold, will hang out in the front of the tank, recognize their owners and are cool as heck. I have a pair of badis assamensis that I love. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I think the otto and the kribs might rub each other up the wrong way, they also don't do well with cory's because they have no concept of personal territory, and will keep barging into the kribs' holy land.

I kept regular dwarf gouramis, it works quite well with 2 females and 1 male... He will mate with both under his nest after destroying/redecorating your plants for about 3 months non stop...

·
Registered
489 Posts
Kribs, dwarf ciichlids, are all aggressive. They have personality will kill each other and other fish sometimes.
Eh...no.
I've kept all manner of cichlids together over the last 30+ years, and rarely has one every killed another one. I've talking Central Americans, South Americans, Malawi, Tanganyika, Madagascar...you name it.

It's a matter of husbandry.
Furthermore plenty are peaceful enough to co-exist with other fish that are too large to eat.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Eh...no.
I've kept all manner of cichlids together over the last 30+ years, and rarely has one every killed another one. I've talking Central Americans, South Americans, Malawi, Tanganyika, Madagascar...you name it.

It's a matter of husbandry.
Furthermore plenty are peaceful enough to co-exist with other fish that are too large to eat.

Sure, we can go with this. I'm here to attempt to explain the OP's situation. What advice do you have for him or her?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sure, we can go with this. I'm here to attempt to explain the OP's situation. What advice do you have for him or her?
No you're right, for some reason I transposed "sometimes" to "always' in my head - my mistake.

That said.

Not every fish will work in every tank.
Sometimes it's a matter of not enough other fish in the tank, and the aggressor is too easily
able to concentrate their attentions on a single, or relatively few fish. More fish can alleviate this problem, is how we keep hyper-actively aggressive cichlids such as the Mbuna with no problems whatsoever.

More visual barriers can help. Rocks, wood, more plants since out of sight is out of mind - back to the Mbuna husbandry there.

Some cichlids are just problem children, and replacing it can solve the issue if the tank is too small, too few fish, not enough visual barriers.

I've kept Neetroplus nematopus, which is about the most aggressive dwarf cichlid (or any cichlid) on the planet and they breeding pair never caused any damage to any other fish - too many other targets and it was a large tank.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I kept regular dwarf gouramis, it works quite well with 2 females and 1 male... He will mate with both under his nest after destroying/redecorating your plants for about 3 months non stop...
None of my LFS's will carry females of many types of fish, Gouramis included. I think they don't sell because they are usually less colorful.
I agree that adding females to the mix may cut down the aggression considerably. In my experience, by the end of a year, the aggression will eventually reappear, and I'll have to move a fish into another tank, or cut it's head off. None of my LFS will take fish in from individuals, so I either have to find it a home or send it to the Great Aquarium Beyond.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.