The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I recently got 4 Kribs about an inch long. What is some good general care tips for them? What do they like to eat? Water temp and paramenters? How old till I can sex them? eyat is tye best way to make them grow fast? Tank mates? Can I keep them in my 60 gallon with adult angels or should I put them with my 3 dime angels in a 10 gallon till they get a bit bigger? Anything helps! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Full grown angels may eat the kribs at their current size, so a grow out tank is probably in order. They eat just about anything, and hit about 4 inches long as adults. Males, when grown, will have longer fins and a less pink stomach than females.

As for compatibility...they are cichlids, and even though they are less aggressive than most of their kind you may still see fireworks when they spawn. Keep an eye on them. Kribs are also usually pair bonding, so if you get a pair you may need to remove the other two fish.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thanks for the responses. I know about them but just briefly. I am just asking people that have experience with them these questions. I want to get some opinions and ideas. I am going to set up a grow out tank tomorrow for them.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi Morgan,

Kribs are generally a very hardy fish. I don't believe your adult angels will do them anything. They will do well with all types of peaceful fish around their size range.

Kribs grow quite quickly provided that they have access to quality foods and good stable water conditions. Additionally, Kribs secrete a chemical/hormone into the water which impairs the growth of the non-dominant fish, so while in the grow out stage, more frequent water changes are in order.

Foods - Virtually anything. Kribs tend to bottom feed mainly but i have had many specimens who will take their meals directly from the water's surface as well as the water column. High quality protein foods will work well but please remember that they are omnivores and do require some green as well as algae in their diet.

Tank decor - Again Kribs are easy but they require some space to hide themselves away, as it increases their feelings of safety. You can have a fully planted tank with these guys or you could use solely rock work for decor, as long as they have a safe retreat they will be fine. Once they have grown and pairs have formed you must be prepared to give each pair at least 1.5 sq. ft as territory to defend and raise they young in. Sight lines must be broken up to prevent chasing all throughout the tank.

Breeding - Usually takes place in caves or in small enclosed areas that are easily defended. The female tends to the eggs while the male guards the cave and territory. Once the fry become free swimming the female will usher the fry around the tank to make them aware of their surroundings. Both parents still guard the fry at this stage and will voraciously defend their territory. Fry are typically big enough to eat crushed flakes and any normal fish foods. Parents will spawn again even with a current group of fry in the tank, so at this time it is best to removed either the parents or the fry to another tank. It should be noted that pelvicachromis pulcher, assuming this it the krib you have, the ratio between the sexes of any spawn is affected greatly by your ph value. Acidic = more male, Alkaline = more males (i think, it may be the reverse).

Have fun with your new fish.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for all of the info! :) will help me out a lot in raising these guys.

·
Registered
333 Posts
As for the 10g vs 60g that's a tough one. You really need a tank in between that size just for these 4 fish, at least you will within a few months. Even then I'd be hesitant about keeping anything but a single male and female out of them as you are able to sex them. Try to find out if they will do well with your adult angels.. I really don't know anything about Angels but I'd be concerned about trying that judging by the way I've seen them in the tanks at the lfs. The 10g is really going to be too small.

I've only kept Kribs for a short time, but in my experience they are nippy when they are breeding and they can really boss around fish that are bigger than them sometimes.. especially slow moving fish with lengthy fins. They should each have a place in the tank to hide out and claim as their own. They don't like it in the open with bright light and you will see their real colors start to show if they get comfortable on the bottom with lots of décor. If you don't get solid pairs out of them, you may end up having to give one or two away.. they will fight it out later on if they aren't all paired up and have lots of space. To get them to breed after they begin to show small signs, bump up the water temp from around 75 to 79 and feed them lots of bloodworms, or beefheart. Sometimes I think that a good waterchange of 77degree water a day or so after they sit at 79 gets them in the mood as well.

You really need to watch them and try to sex them as soon as you can, and from there watch for aggression and pairing behavior. You could end up with some bad fights if they don't pair up right. For instance, I kept 3 females and one male in a 55g once. The females battered him to death over one night because they were all ready to breed and he could only give so much attention. The same could go for too many males I would think.

They have lots of personality and their colors really start to come out as they grow which I find really exciting. Watching the parental behavior with the fry is the most enjoyable thing for me. I've really had a good time with mine in the short amount of time I have been keeping them.

Its hard to say how old until you can sex them, but with the males you can try to keep an eye on the top fin as it will extend out to a point whereas the females is more rounded. The females may exhibit some red coloring on the belly but that can also show with males so its not really a good way to tell, especially when they are so young. For me, they grow fast on brine shrimp, blood worms, occasional ground up cricket, and flakes mixed with a dissolved algae wafer. The females will be the most dominant until the males really begin to outgrow them. Up till now, I have been keeping my tank at a ph of around 7 to get a good spread of male and female fry. I'll likely stop adjusting my ph very soon though. That has been my experience.

As for tankmates, I'd suggest a species only tank if its anything under around 30g but that's just me. You don't want to put them with any other form of dwarf cichlid in my opinion. The best tank mates would be medium sized dither fish which populate the top and middle of the tank. Something like Columbian Tetras, perhaps Danios. I'm not sure about neons, rasboras, cardinals, but have thought about trying one of those in the future. You don't want to put anything with too much finnage as it could get nipped off quite often.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.