The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 12 Brown Pencilfish (?) (Nannostomas eques) that I love in a Fluval Flex 33 gallon tank. I'm thinking of moving the Pygmy Corys (Corydoras pygmaeus) from this tank and getting a pair of Kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher).

Is that a bad idea? The internet is full of conflicting advice on what fish work well with Kribs. My pencilfish are slow (bad for when Kribs get aggressive at breeding time?) but they stay almost exclusively at the top (act as dithers, makes everything OK?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Kribensis usually are never on the top where pencil fish are anyway, so you should be fine. Kribs are aggressive during mating season though.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Kribensis usually are never on the top where pencil fish are anyway, so you should be fine. Kribs are aggressive during mating season though.
And some pairs are even worse when they have fry. 33 gallons should be enough swimming space, but be sure to make a few hideouts for the Kribs so they feel safer, pick one and will want to stay put and defend that one spot.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
And some pairs are even worse when they have fry. 33 gallons should be enough swimming space, but be sure to make a few hideouts for the Kribs so they feel safer, pick one and will want to stay put and defend that one spot.
Pencil fish never goes to the bottom layer much either. I've kept a pair and they breed every month, and while they chase my cories, there hasn't been any deaths.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.