The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I am restarting my 20 gallon long after Neon Tetra Disease wiped out most of my fish. I was wondering if Kribenses or any of the Dwarf Crested Cichlids would be ok in a 20 long? Any other suggestions of a similar fish for a 20 long would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a picture of my tank pre-wipeout. Pretty much the same minus the pennywort.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
i think kribs would be.
or german blue rams, possibly bolivian rams. just one pair of any of those, though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. I'm not sure I want to get German Blue Rams though. Had one that I got a few weeks before the wipe-out happened. Really liked her. Not sure I want to get another right after she died...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Yeah. I'm not sure I want to get German Blue Rams though. Had one that I got a few weeks before the wipe-out happened. Really liked her. Not sure I want to get another right after she died...
sooo...kribs! you could probably do shell-dwellers too (not at the same time) but they're not out all that much, i've heard.
i'd say apistos, but i'm under the impression that most are too aggressive for a tank that size.

you could do some small gouramis, like pygmies? i think they do well in trios. then you could also have a school of something small, like 8 little tetras, maybe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about Gouramis, but I'm not a fan of any of the Dwarf ones. The smallest one I would consider getting probably would be the Pearl Gourami, but they can still hit 4 inches. Currently have 3 Emperor tetras that somehow managed to survive, an Oto and 8 Amano shrimp. Would these be a problem with the Kribs?

There's a LFS that is switching to all saltwater, so they are doing a 50% off sale on all their freshwater to clear out the stock. Saw that they had a few Kribs there, but they were keeping them in a tank with no light. Not sure if that means anything.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I thought about Gouramis, but I'm not a fan of any of the Dwarf ones. The smallest one I would consider getting probably would be the Pearl Gourami, but they can still hit 4 inches. Currently have 3 Emperor tetras that somehow managed to survive, an Oto and 8 Amano shrimp. Would these be a problem with the Kribs?

There's a LFS that is switching to all saltwater, so they are doing a 50% off sale on all their freshwater to clear out the stock. Saw that they had a few Kribs there, but they were keeping them in a tank with no light. Not sure if that means anything.
only reason i think the current fish/shrimp would be in danger would be if your kribs got violent while breeding. provide them with some sort of cave maybe, or that driftwood might be enough, and you should be okay. of course, freak accidents have occurred...but i'm not trying to scare you away from the idea.
no light might just mean they don't want to spend the money/energy when they're getting rid of the fish anyways. i wouldn't worry about it, just make sure the fish are healthy before getting them.

this is a good site/good info, check it out: http://www.thekrib.com/Apisto/P-pulcher.html#1

·
Registered
165 Posts
Emperors are super sturdy fish. I'd say perfect dither fish for a mating pair of kribs. They won't bother the oto.

Joe

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info guys! I think I'll pick 2 up tomorrow! May end up removing the Emporers, but we will see.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
a pair of Kribs or Apistogramma cacatuoides both are very colorful and both will do well in a 20L (not together obviously)

·
Registered
87 Posts
id watch out with the amanos. i have a feeling my pair would go after them for no reason. they have killed 2-3 fish but overall everyone does fine. neons/ otos

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
the key is quality stock.. most of the stock i find in LFS is really poor. If they are the only fish in a 20.. you could easily have 4 of 5 pairs.. i have 3 pairs in my 10 and they are doing great

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
A 1-male-2-females harem of any of the apistos would work great, as would a pair of rams, Laetacara spp., checkerboards, keyholes, kribs, buffalo-heads, Anomalochromis thomasi... Lots and lots of options out there.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
id watch out with the amanos. i have a feeling my pair would go after them for no reason. they have killed 2-3 fish but overall everyone does fine. neons/ otos
If kribs are like rams in temperament... then no, they won't. I have 3 in there and my ram ignores them. Plus, amanos are fast and can fit into places the cichlid can't.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys. Ended up getting 2 kribs I thought were a pair, but were actually 2 females. Went looking around and managed to find a male, so I now have 1 male and 2 females in the tank. I also picked up a school of 7 Rummynose Tetras. So far everyone seems to be doing well. And I'm pretty sure the male has already paired up with one of the females. Her stomach has turned bright maroon and has begun to grow, so I may end up with baby kribs soon. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance. They are still pretty shy and are frightened of my camera.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts