The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently battling one of the toughest strains of Ich in my 50G that I've ever encountered. 95% of the time, I just turn the heat up to 86F and add some salt (this has always worked within days). This has been working somewhat, but I'm still seeing perpetual flashing and a few white spots on several of my Sunburst Platies. Due to all of my thriving Anubias plants (over 10 of them), I didn't want to go w/ the traditional Ich meds. I decided to start Kordon Ich Attack, which is an organic/100% natural cure. It was a bit more pricey, but manufactured by a pretty reputable company. I've read mixed reviews on it, but most users seem to agree that it does work.

I thought I'd use this thread to seek your exeriences w/ this medication, and also document the results (or lack there of) that I see over the next 10 days. I know that Ich is a common problem, and with a planted tank there are probably a good deal of us out there who want to use a natural solution before resorting to meds.

Day 1 (12/12/12): Treated 5tsp of solution @ 8pm w/ the heater set @ 85F.

Day 2 (12/13/12): Turned the tank lights on this morning to notice that there is a slight decrease in white spots, but the fish (Platies especially) are still flashing 1-2 x per minute. Went ahead and dosed another 5tsp this morning. Even though the tank drops down to 84.6F at night, I'm not too concerned about temp being an issue. This product does give your water a brown tinge during treatment. My plants seem to be unaffected at this point. Will update tomorrow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Day 3: Have now been dosing the product 2 x daily (once in the morning and once before bed). There is a noticeable decrease in white spots, however the Platies are still flashing against plants/driftwood every few minutes. At this point I haven't lost any fish to the Ich. Will continue with another dose tonight, and two more tomorrow. Following Sunday's water change, I will dose the tank one last time and keep the temp a 85F until next Sunday's wc. All of my plants (mostly Anubias) seem to be handling the product fine.

·
Registered
494 Posts
i had to crank my temp up to 90 for 10 days to kill the ick i got! i have a vail tail betta so he's a hardy soul... i did remove my snails... they liked 86 but started climbing out out 88!

i used paraguard (dipped 2x) ick all off fish, but would see it in the water after that. heated all my tanks to 90

·
Registered
16 Posts
Worked well for me. After 8-10 days no trace of ich. Lost half my fish in the meanwhile but none left. Great product and no staining of my silicone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts