The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pet Supplies Plus in Charlottesville, Va. is carrying Koi Bettas this week. This is the first time I've seen Koi Bettas at a LFS. Really beautiful fish. I was unable to look through the stock thoroughly, but they appear to be only females. Fins were fairly short, more like plakat, and they are not labeled male or female. I'll ask today if they are males. $19.98 each. Was in a hurry yesterday and couldn't ask questions. Very beautiful fish. It may start to get hard to distinguish between males and females as these fish become more fancy.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Koi bettas seem to have shorter fins. Check for an egg tube and note responses to other bettas- males in general will be more vigorous in their territorial battles through the walls, although females will often still flare. If you just intend to keep one and not breed them, sex is fairly unimportant.
I've seen 'koi' bettas at my LFS, although I'm not certain if they were true koi bettas or just a similar strain.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Koi bettas seem to have shorter fins. Check for an egg tube and note responses to other bettas- males in general will be more vigorous in their territorial battles through the walls, although females will often still flare. If you just intend to keep one and not breed them, sex is fairly unimportant.
I've seen 'koi' bettas at my LFS, although I'm not certain if they were true koi bettas or just a similar strain.
I got pics. No one at the store knows if they are male/female yet. The owner ordered them and hasn't been in the store, but I'm sure she knows what the sex is and forgot to share that info w/employees.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
We received samples the end of last year and started getting them in every week about a month ago. I haven't really taken much time to look at them other than assess their health on arrival. Quick check of the packing list for today shows 600 landing. lol They're pretty expensive and fall third on the list as far as our cost. (I'm in husbandry for a wholesaler so this is not an ad.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.