The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I keep my dry ferts and dechlorinator in a box along with other aquarium stuff. What happen is I spilled the dechlorinator and it got in my bag of KNO3 because it wasn't closed all the way. Not a lot got in the bag, but just enough to turn it a beige color. Is it still good to use?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Hi fishyfishy101,

Since the material (KNO3) changed color it is likely that the dechlorinator reacted chemically with it. If the dechlorinator did react with the potassium nitrate (KNO3) it is likely that the KNO3 has been changed chemically into a different substance. If it were me, for the safety of my fish I would purchase fresh KNO3 and get rid of the contaminated stuff.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi fishyfishy101,

Since the material (KNO3) changed color it is likely that the dechlorinator reacted chemically with it. If the dechlorinator did react with the potassium nitrate (KNO3) it is likely that the KNO3 has been changed chemically into a different substance. If it were me, for the safety of my fish I would purchase fresh KNO3 and get rid of the contaminated stuff.
Ok, I think I agree that it had some sort of chemical reaction because it now has a really strong smell. I'll have to get some more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.