The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read 5 to 10 ppm KNO3, and read 10 to 20 ppm KNO3. Which should I dose for? I have 3 wpg on a 30gal, CO2 is 30ppm. Is 20ppm KNO3 too much for fish?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
20 ppm will barely be noticed by fish.

Convential fishkeeping consensus is that they should be below 40 ppm.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have been getting hair algae at 10ppm, I kicked it to 20ppm and it went away in both my 30gal tanks the same day after about 10 days at 20ppm . When it went back to 10 ppm my hair algae came back in both my 30 gal tanks the same day! CO2 and WPG is also the same in both tanks. Guess I will be keeping it at 20ppm.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
And you know what's a good way to bump up nitrate too?
just feed your fish a little more.

I've noticed the 20 ppm nitrate too.. Right now, i'm at around 10ppm maybe lower and I'm getting staghorn.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
And you know what's a good way to bump up nitrate too?
just feed your fish a little more.

I've noticed the 20 ppm nitrate too.. Right now, i'm at around 10ppm maybe lower and I'm getting staghorn.
Fish food is a LOT more expensive than KNO3. And excess fish food doesn't supply nitrates it supplies ammonia and snails.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Fish food is a LOT more expensive than KNO3. And excess fish food doesn't supply nitrates it supplies ammonia and snails.
don't plants love ammonia? it'll be taken up by the plants or gets converted to NO2->NO3 really fast in an established aquarium.. Hey, fish food can count as fertilizer too. And no snail issues for me since I has a few botias.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts