The Planted Tank Forum banner

Knifefish

3204 Views 9 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  thedudeabides
So my favorite fish of all time is the Black Ghost Knife but since they get so big I will not get one unless I have at least a 300 gal tank.

I know people are gonna say you can get away with a lot smaller tanks but I have a real problem with that. I could survive living in a jail cell but I would not be too happy.

That being said I was researching smaller knifefish and came across the Centipede knifefish, Steatogenys duidae.

Anyone have experience with these guys? Also could a group live comfortably in a 65g considering what I said above?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
check out an african brown knife. they get to about a foot at the most. they are fairly aggressive though and will eat anything they can fit in their mouth. ive kept them before and they are quite interesting. only down side is they are kind of plain looking.
I agree. I have an African brown knife and he is awesome! Eats just about everything and is about 7-8inch. As adults they are solitary but you g ones like to be in groups. He is in my 60 gallon tank. His favorite type of day is twilight. Hope you get one! :D
Thanks, I was looking at them as well. They sound interesting but the difference between a foot long and 8 inches is what is deterring me.

Any one have anything on the centipede knifefish?
Ok so after closer inspection only in the wild do they get 12" when in a aquarium they are about the same size as the centipede
I was looking at a Knifefish when I saw a Rope fish another tank over. I bought the Rope Fish instead.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
See less See more
Yeah I'm not too worried about that. He likes his Mealworms and blood worms too much to mess with any of my fish. He won't eat the Beef heart I bought though, little punk..

Yeah I'm not too worried about that. He likes his Mealworms and blood worms too much to mess with any of my fish. He won't eat the Beef heart I bought though, little punk..

Wow mine was not fussy at all. He would eat chunks of algae waffers.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.