The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help: I just made an error and not sure of the consequences I may face. I am battling BGA and was going to add 1/4 teaspoon of KN03, but accidentall put in a full teaspoon.. Not thinking.

Am I going to be okay? or should I do a quick water change (30-50%)?

Thanks,

Ted

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is fine since I do a weekly water change, just wasn't sure if it could hurt any of the tank community??

Thanks,
Ted

·
Registered
989 Posts
it technically should not go over 20 ppm but if it is at 40 or something it should not hurt them as long as it is not long term. unless of course you have nitrAte sensitive fish.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
the community should be just fine...no worries...it will reset when you do a water change.
Your NO3 has to reach over 100 for it to make a difference anyway.

·
Registered
780 Posts
That level is way too high for long-term health of most aquatic critters. Weekly water changes should keep it at 20 or lower...

·
Registered
888 Posts
I would do a 10% daily water change if I were you until nitrates go down.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I realize that. It is a temporary screw up by me. I just wanted to make sure I was good til my Sunday water change, or if I should do sooner or immediately.

Thanks,
Ted

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
That level is way too high for long-term health of most aquatic critters. Weekly water changes should keep it at 20 or lower...
Did you read the first post? This was an accidental dosing, and he does weekly water change. He is more interesting in the short term effects, not trying to run 80ppm long term. Short term would probably not make much a differnce but I coul dbe wrong. As long as its back to normal in a week or two. If in doubt you could do wc to reduce it a little.

·
Registered
234 Posts
well nitrate is toxic. so just watch the fish as they react.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Not a big deal short term, particularly if you have a high plant load.....SUnday water change 50% youwill be fine. Don't dose NO3 for another week either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts