The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys i have a non-co2 planted 65g with a large school of corydora.

My parameters pre-water change are as follows;

Nitrates; 30
phosphates; 2
potassium; 20
ph; 7.5
gh; 120
kh; 120
temp; (floats between 75 and 79)
TDS; 240

I use jobes house plant sticks as root tabs about 1x every 2 months or so and ive been auto-dosing premixed liquid fertilizers. I only column dose K2S04 and Micro CSM+B

substrate is tahitian moon sand

my lights are a finnex 24/7 set on a very low setting over my java ferns which are overall doing just fine, little algae here and there from elevated phosphates but in general are green and healthy looking, and a Kissel a180 over everything else. the kessil is on roughly 5hr a day, and ramps from 0 / 0 to a peak of 50 / 50 back to 0 / 0

My plants just dont seem to be growing. 1 or 2 are taking off, but in general all of them are staying very small or grow to a moderate size, then suddenly die back out of nowhere. having this issue with pretty much everything. Hydrocotle tripartita, red tiger lotus, apogeton ucelverous (?).

question; am i wrong for not dosing KN03 and KH2P04 and thinking the measured phosphates and nitrates produced naturally in my tank are good enough? should i start dosing KN03 and KH2P04 and just do more water changes?

·
Registered
66 Posts
How long has the tank been running for? Dieback and slow growth are normal for the first few weeks as they adjust to a new environment. But if it has been a while and no progress I would look into lowing the pH to 7 or just slightly below, plants prefer a slightly acidic (6.5-7) environment. Also, it is a bummer, but CO2 really does change everything. It helps control algae when used consistently and provides a superb environment for plants. Of course, you don't need it, but growth will certainly be slow without it for most plants. And yes, I would dose NPK on top of what occurs naturally. Stunted growth means something is missing, slowly eliminate one factor at a time, you will find what it is eventually!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Phosphate should be less than 1
your gh and kh are very high.
Reccomended kh for planted tanks 2-4 dkh. or 20-40 ppm.
gh should be 2-8 dgh or 20-80ppm

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I have a different view:

If it were my tank, I'd start with the light and try to determine what the substrate PAR is. Seraching the forum should get you to a good guess as to what it is, and then you can decide if it is strong enough. Based upon everything else and the not-bad-algae, I'm thinking that you may not have enough light. If you can make a good estimate, and find that your light may be below 50 PAR at the substrate, I would try raising the light intensity to ~50 and extend the photoperiod to 6 hours.

I would also add Excel to supplement carbon and hinder any hair algae.

I would eliminate all root tab type activity (I don't like the lack of control) and do water column dosing only. With the spewing Jobes sticks, you can't tell how much of the NO3 and PO4 is due to organics vs the Jobes. If they are predominantly organics, then I'd do a better job of cleaning, water changes and filter cleaning. If they are Jobes, then your feeding and cleaning are good. The only way to know is to remove them and wait until any remnants are dissolved and removed by w/c's.

PO4 doesn't cause algae. In fact, I'd raise PO4 to 3ppm until NO3 settles down after removing the sticks. A good NO3: PO4 minimum ratio is about 10:1, but I'd try to maintain at least the 2ppm. Once the sticks are removed, you will be better able to control NO3 and PO4. At that point, if you need more, then column dose the the salts you mentioned.

Your GH and KH aren't bad (they are actually 6.7 degrees, each, of GH and KH). Is that also what your water source is? If not, something in your tank is pushing it up. If KH comes down, the pH will follow. If it is in your water source, then it gets more complicated trying to bring them down and, although it may be ideal to do so, I don't think it would matter all that much to you.

Reactions: gjcarew and burr740

·
Registered
284 Posts
To keep it simple I would say that your water parameters are Ok. In this circumstances I would blame your light. Try raising the intensity for about a week and see if you observe any changes in growth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.