The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
***I will be updating this first post with specs / general details as the setup evolves***

Most Recent Pic (1/18/2017):

For this tank I tried something new. Iwagumi-style layout with a moss carpet. I had a ton of xmas moss from my last low tech tank so I bought some 1" filter foam and cut to the shape of my tank. Then I used fishing line and a sewing needle to sew the moss down to the foam and placed it in the tank. There is no substrate under the foam. It took around 4-5 hours to finish doing this but the result was an instant carpet that will be extremely easy to maintain. The foam fits to the glass snug so it will not float up with the rocks weighing down the majority of it. The corners uncovered by rocks are pressed pretty firmly against the glass.

The space behind the larger rock cluster is filled with black diamond so I can put a few stem plants in there. Beyond that I think I'll add a bit of anubias nana in a few places and that's it. Looking to keep it real simple.

As always if this journal helps others model a great looking tank I will be happy.

Current Hardware:
  • 20 gallon long tank
  • EHEIM 2217
  • Finnex Planted + (original)
  • Seiryu stones
  • Black Diamond Blasting Sand (just a little bit behind the rocks)

Current Flora:
  • Christmas Moss

Current Fauna:
  • RCS (a lot)

1/18/2017

9/6/2016

·
Registered
103 Posts
That is awesome dude. Definition of low-maintenance. Very well done. So no substrate at all below the foam, right? Say you get rid of the BD sand and place some epiphytes on small lava rocks behind the seiryu's - NLJF's or tridents or bolbitis to give you the vertical aspect, that will make this the ultimate low tech. Plus complete clean up just by removing the rocks and the foam and maybe instant rescapes just by moving rocks around. No Co2, no dosing, as well?

Keep us posted..

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just set it up today so I'm not even going to bother dosing. Honestly I have so many shrimp that there should be enough nutrients just from their poop.

The planted + is mostly blocked off with electrical tape so it puts out like 1/3 of it's light potential.

I will probably put a slew of small stem plants behind the rocks. Want to keep the 'nano' type look with small leaf plants. Stems of moneywort would probably fit the bill.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any substrate under the foam?

From hobby to addiction

No it is pressed right onto the bottom pane of glass. The only substrate in the entire tank is just a little bit behind some of the rocks.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
After loosing god knows how many photos on photobucket, I just upload my pics to the forum gallery where it is safe.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Holy crap 1.8 petabytes a month, that is unfathomable to me!

Hope they find a way to salvage the operation. Never used them myself, but it would be a damaging blow to lots and lots of pictures around the web.

Fwiw I use https://www.flickr.com/
Just made an account... Re-uploading these pics and updating my links in the forum will be a huge pain.

Also I don't think I have a lot of the older pics from my old 75g journal so those may be lost forever :(

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
For pics that I care about I use Flickr and create different albums. For pics that I usually just post to forums that could be anything I've been using photobucket. I find it easier in photobucket to isolate one photo without exposing all the other ones. In flickr it's a little bit more difficult unless I'm missing something. Overall I do like Flickr the best.

·
Planted Tanker
5,993 Posts
For pics that I care about I use Flickr and create different albums. For pics that I usually just post to forums that could be anything I've been using photobucket. I find it easier in photobucket to isolate one photo without exposing all the other ones. In flickr it's a little bit more difficult unless I'm missing something. Overall I do like Flickr the best.
If you set your photos to "private", it will only expose the ones you post, unless I misunderstand what you mean.

Like this

Same thing happens on photobucket if Im not mistaken. Sometimes you can only see one photo, sometimes you can scroll through a person's entire gallery.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
If you set your photos to "private", it will only expose the ones you post, unless I misunderstand what you mean.

Same thing happens on photobucket if Im not mistaken. Sometimes you can only see one photo, sometimes you can scroll through a person's entire gallery.
How are you linking the photo, through direct share or through the BBCode, because I'm not gettting the staticflickr link your getting unless your cutting the link down.

·
Planted Tanker
5,993 Posts
How are you linking the photo, through direct share or through the BBCode, because I'm not gettting the staticflickr link your getting unless your cutting the link down.
From the photostream page (or the album or whatever) click the pic, which goes to the image's page with all the info and options.

On that page, bottom right options > hover on "download this photo" and select view all sizes. From there I choose the size I want to post, and copy the direct link. Paste that on the forum using bbcode

Might be an easier way that's just what I do

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
@burr740 - Your right, it can be done that way, thank you!

I always hit the share button not the download, since download usually means to hard drive. Actually I don't even think it matters if it's private or not, it's a static link so it will only show that photo. Most of my photos are public in the different albums, but I don't think most forum members are interested in my vacation and dog pics.

Apologies to @klibs, but this will help make you a flickr expert.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts