The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I am moving into a new apartment June 1, 2014 and decided to get into a heavily planted tank. I've been doing a ton or research so hopefully my first attempt at creating a nice looking setup won't be a total disaster.

Hardware:
- 55 Gallon tank ~(48 x 12 x 20)
- 2x Eheim 2217 canister filters
- 48" T5HO Light fixture (3 x 54W bulb - not sure how many I will run)
- 5lb CO2 tank with regulator/bubble counter (still need diffuser)
- 300W Hydor inline heater
- Substrate: Probably Miracle Gro Organic with EcoComplete on top (already have the EcoComplete)

The tank I got is pretty beat up (previously used for a snake...) and the stand needs a LOT of work (it sucks). Right now they are both at my parent's place in the next town over waiting for me to do some DIY magic. I am praying that the tank will hold water fine (guy who sold it to me claimed it used to with no problems).

Here is my plan so far:
- Make sure the tank holds water. If not I will reseal it... (fingers crossed)
- Renovate the stand by raising it and giving it a decent coat of paint.
- Move into my new apartment.
- Fill tank with substrate / deco and try to get some HC to root. I am not totally set on HC as my carpet but right now it is my #1 choice. I will probably start to grow it emersed.
- Fill tank with water
- ???????
- Beautiful tank (hopefully lol)

I am open to any and all thoughts and suggestions and am excited to get started! I am trying my best to be as committed and as patient as possible because if owning fish for a few years has taught me anything is that if you try to jump the gun you will regret it 95% of the time.

I also want to take a lot of pictures and make this legit so you people actually might want to read this crap. Wish me luck!

-Kyle

·
Registered
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to TPT!

I'd double check to make sure the tank you're getting was designed to be an aquarium rather than a herp tank- those designed as herp tanks typically use thinner glass and don't have support braces across the top.
Uh oh...
I honestly think I got scammed into buying this tank and am considering cutting my losses (VERY hard pill to swallow) and getting a nicer 75 gallon. What are some telltale signs that this tank was meant for reptiles? It does not have a middle brace, instead it has this weird glass cross-section that was glued to either side with silicone...
I can take pictures in the next few days.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I got my 55 (that's still sitting bare in my garage) on the petco $1pg sale last year. Too bad they don't have 75's :( Might be an option if you ever need to get a new one.

I am also going to run 1 eheim 2217 and a hydor 300w. Keep in mind the hose size. You'll need a coupler. The hoses aren't the same size as the heater. The heater is 5/8 and the outflow is 1/2 or something like that. Nothing that a couple barbs and a foot of hose cut into a small section (twice) can't cure.. probably run ya $5 at home depot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts