The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make a DIY substrate for a 30 gallon hex acrylic tank with 60 watts of compact fluorescent light (coiled screw in bulbs with metal reflectors). -Link to a thread with pic of my lights at the bottom.

I wanted to use the Peat / kitty litter / flourite / gravel recipe mentioned on this forum.

I went to Petco / grocery stores and looked but ended up flummoxed.
There were so many modern choices, none of which sounded good for fish.
Crystals, Clumping, flushable, made from pine, made from recycled newspaper, scented, Anti-bacterial...

I was just looking for something plain made from baked clay - I thought. What is a good brand, where can I get it, or what should I look for on the bag?

Thanks for any help.

Pairustwo

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
First question is why? Just go with Flourite and gravel.

Second see my Guide. The section on substrate. CPA (cat piss absorbent) in the same bag can be two totally different products in different parts of the country. Most of it breaks down into a nasty mush when submerged in water.

Just use either straight Flourite or Flourite mixed 50/50 based on depth (not weight). Use a gravel that is the same grain size as the Flourite or you will end up with the larger stuff on top. Put down a layer of peat moss on the bottom and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was planning on using it for two reasons - its cheap and it was recommended as a good low tech solution.

Reading your guide I get the impression that kitty litter and flourite would be redundant. I can only say that I don't have that much flourite - just what I was going to scrounge from my other tank - and I can't afford more.

Perhaps I should go with an organic sterilized potting soil?

Thanks Rex.

pairustwo

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi Pair...I've never used, as Rex so eloquently calls it, CPA, ;) but a friend with a super green aquatic thumb does and her tank is spectacular. She uses the WalMart brand that is non-clumping. The ingredients are 100% clay. HTH.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.