The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After browsing the forums for almost a year and only recently subscribing, I thought I should throw up a journal for my 20 gallon long!

Current tank shot as of 8/2

8/2 update
I jumped right into this hobby and started this tank about 8 months ago. I have changed my scape several times, this is due to me not being patient at all...I ended up with a unsatisfying and sloppy tank. So, this time around I am going to plan things out and take my sweet time. Hopefully it turns out okay! One suggestion I can make to new PT members... Take your time and have patience. Beauty will come out of it.

Also want to give a shout out to the members that helped me along my journey!!

Lets start with the specs;

Lighting: Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 30"

Substrate: 2x 20lb Eco-complete mixed with white sand, SOON TO BE Black Diamond Blasting Sand

Filtration: AquaTop 200 Canister Filter, Hydor Koralia Nano 240 Circulation pump

CO2: 5lb aluminum cylinder, Premium Aquatek Regulator with Integrated Solenoid, atomic diffuser, glass drop checker

Hardscape: River rocks, Malaysian driftwood

Ferts: Flourish Comprehensive 1-2 times weekly.

Flora:
- ludwigia repens
- alternanthera reineckii 'mini'
- taxiphyllum barbieri (java moss)
- anubias barteri 'nana' petite
- anubias barteri 'micro'
- hydrocotyle japan
- crypt. wendtii 'green'
- crypt. undulata
- rotala 'intica'

Fauna:
-1 german blue ram
-5 neon tetras
-2 peppered cories
-2 juli cories
-4 otos

I am very appreciative of any comments or critique's. Thanks! :bounce:

Now on with the pictures!

Earlier scapes...

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Seems you have the components to grow more colorful plants, like Rotala Mexicana. Don't understand why you aren't.

Bartohog, a member of this forum, is selling some and other lovely plants. I would buy but don't have pressurized Co2.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Nice start. It should look great once it fills in some more. The needle leaf java fern is gonna go wild in your tank.

Just a note though, is it just me or does your tank have a yellowish tint to it?

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems you have the components to grow more colorful plants, like Rotala Mexicana. Don't understand why you aren't.

Bartohog, a member of this forum, is selling some and other lovely plants. I would buy but don't have pressurized Co2.
I actually do have multiple species of plants that have either a red tint or red color to them. I recently got some plants from another member and they are just bouncing back from transporting to another tank. But I'll probably end up getting some more, you can never have enough plants right?!

Nice start. It should look great once it fills in some more. The needle leaf java fern is gonna go wild in your tank.

Just a note though, is it just me or does your tank have a yellowish tint to it?
Thank you!! I actually had a HUGE clump of needle leaf as you can see in my older pictures, so I just threw it in my 55g low-tech. I'll probably RAOK some in the future if it gets too out of control ;).

It does still have a yellow tint... pretty sure its from my driftwood, even after boiling/soaking it for weeks and being in my tank for over 6 months. I even have Seachem Purigen in my HOB, it doesn't want to go away!! :icon_mad:

I'll have to do a massive water change tomorrow and take some photos.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thought I'd add some pictures of my 55g low tech tank while I'm waiting for some red plants and ferts to arrive for my 20 :).

For the 55 I had to design the scape so looks appealing on both sides. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So yesterday I had a disaster... I didn't notice right away that the tank had a crack in the upper backside and began to leak heavily late last night.

Ripped everything out, put the plants and fish into buckets.

I took the opportunity to completely start over; so I purchased a new 20 gallon long tank and spent two hours derimming it. Added the scape and currently in the process of planting.

I'll be posting pictures soon!

Also, anyone know how to change the title of a journal? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had two of these but they just hid for 3 days then died :(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I had two before this one that did the same thing. I think I introduced them too early into my tank, they really need to have a tank that's completely established and free of disease. Also helps to get them from a trusted LFS or breeder.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had two before this one that did the same thing. I think I introduced them too early into my tank, they really need to have a tank that's completely established and free of disease. Also helps to get them from a trusted LFS or breeder.

Not cheap fish either!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I had that happen too even though I put the Ram in an established tank. I think it is because my mineral are very very low in my tanks. Had it happen with apistogrammi too. The Gold 1s died 1st.

If you want Dwarf Chilids try Kribensis.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had that happen too even though I put the Ram in an established tank. I think it is because my mineral are very very low in my tanks. Had it happen with apistogrammi too. The Gold 1s died 1st.

If you want Dwarf Chilids try Kribensis.
Yeah, it might help that I use almost all RO water for my tanks, brings the PH down and removes the hard minerals.

Definitely worth it though, he's my favorite fish and has the best personality. I'll be getting him a girlfriend soon, I just hope she survives the transition..

I think they are very reasonably priced.. only 8$ at my fish store.

·
Registered
34 Posts
tank looks awesome! I'm actually starting a 20gallon long too. did you find that the finnex led lights create too much light that you have algae problems?

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tank looks awesome! I'm actually starting a 20gallon long too. did you find that the finnex led lights create too much light that you have algae problems?
Thank you very much!! :red_mouth

Hope you have fun with your 20, absolutely love the dimensions of this tank. I found once I got stable co2 from my pressurized system, I haven't had any problems with algae.. besides a little hair algae on my java moss (but it was just too close to the light so I moved the branch down).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts