The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Locking lips and dancing the night away.

It's my first time keeping angels and I have no idea what they're doing. I assume they're mating pairs? They grew up together in the same aquarium with two other angels, but these two seemed to have gotten rather aggressive recently. Sometimes they nibble at eachother's chin, but doesn't seem to cause any harm.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
That is a mated pair. Look for eggs. Be ready to pull a fish if one starts showing bites on the sides.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
In a well planted tank there is a good chance they will breed and rear their brood in the natural way. During courtship they will flash their fins and kiss at one another, this is a good way to no if their ready and if you have a pair. They will lay their eggs on a piece of slate prop at about 45 degrees. Angelfish also clean their stones before they lay their eggs. If the eggs get eaten or the fry doesn't rear naturally. You can take the stone out and put in another aquarium with a fine stream of air bubbles passing close to the eggs. It also helps to use a fungicide, 1 drop per liter of 5% methylene blue. The eggs hatch in three days and are free swimming on the eight.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Locking lips isn't necessarily a prelude to mating, though if they're male/female it an be an indication. It could also be a dominance arguement between males.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts