The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my try on getting shrimp to breed. The shrimp arrived today, though the tank has been set up for several weeks. So, in order to maximize my shrimp breeding probability, I ordered 12 berried RCS; I got 13 females and 4 males. So, without further ado, my 2.5 gallon iwagumi!

Specs:

Tank: 2.5 Gallon AGA Glass Tank

Substrate: Black Flourite

Filter: Red Sea Nano HOB

Ferts: Excel (0.25-0.3 mL/day)

Stone: Ryuoh Stone or Seiryu Stone, can't remember which...

Lighting: 40 Watt Equivalent Daylight CFL in a Hampton Bay Desklamp

Flora: Marsilea minuta, Sagittaria subulata, Hemianthus micranthemoides, Blyxa japonica, Eleocharis acicularis

Fauna: 17 RCS, 1 Amano, 1 Oto

Please, comment, leave plant/scape suggestions and enjoy!

PS: This is my thousandth and first post!!! Wannabe Guru status achieved!!! YES!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Looks great! And grats on your 1000th post you wanna be guru you :biggrin:

Those shrimps looks very red especially since you just got them today.

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
hey that's a nice looking tank...13 females?...12 berries?!?!...you're going to have shrimps coming out your ears soon....LFS credits baby!

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks man! Looks like some of them dropped eggs in the bag, seeing that it was over 100 degrees today. 9 still are berried. Still, 2 more have saddles. This is gonna be great, so long as they keep the eggs and they hatch. I mean, for all I know, they could hatch tomorrow!

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
why don't you throw a fan over the tank...that'll keep the temps reasonable...

lol...so you name is Kiran huh...hahaha...i never knew...I always wondered...is a genius dude kiran?

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
damn.. it amazing how those rocks look sooo nice.
makes a big difference :-/
where'd u get 'em!?
Yeah, took a while to figure the tank out even before filling it! I got 'em when I was in California earlier this summer. They're from Aqua Forest Aquarium in San Francisco.

Really missing my rcs now! Love the tank and really can't wait to see the babies! Making me want to set up my little tank. Maybe when I can afford to buy some rcs again! Good luck!!!
Yeah, I just hope the babies hatch and survive. I've had trouble breeding RCS before. I know, pathetic :(

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: Last night, the Amano decided to jump. It may have been from the stress of having a bunch of new friends introduced, or maybe those friends caused an ammonia spike and he decided that my carpet is a nicer, prettier place where there's perfect water parameters... Who knows. Being too lazy to test the water, I just did a 25% WC. Can't hurt... Figured it was good to do anyway, considering how many new inhabitants were introduced yesterday... Oh, and also, there's 18 shrimp, contrary to my original belief. Keep the comments coming!

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
Naw dude. Amanos jump anyways regardless of water parameters. I have yet kept an Amano in an open top tank that did not end up dried up on the ground. They are the Houdinis of shrimps.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Haha those shrimp look gigantic in your 2.5. I don't think you'll have any problem getting your shrimp to breed, rcs are like rabbits! Can't wait to see it all grown in!

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So here's the update:

Here's the CPO. I was afraid to put it with my RCS because the tank, being an iwagumi, is just so sparsely planted, so I put him in my Ebi. Then I saw him stalking one of my CRS, so I divided my betta's tank and moved him into there. I was afraid the betta would eat him, so that's why I divided it. My birthday's in two weeks, I think I'll get the Fluval Spec and move either the betta or put the CPO with another one in there and hope to breed them.

So, questions, comments, suggestions, keep 'em coming!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts