The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Neat-o. Too bad the article makes us look like a bunch of crazy weirdos for spending $800 on shrimp despite their being "difficult to breed" and having "short life spans."

Of course... I am a bit weird I suppose! Aren't we all?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well... 800$ for a shrimp is borderline insanity =D
True to a certain extent. To some people 800 dollars is mere pocket change. It all has to do with if its reasonable spending for your set income. If you make 30 grand a year, yes it is quite stupid and irresponsible of you. If you make 5 million a year then buy 100 of them. I mean hell, people buy million dollar cars. 10 million dollar houses? The list goes on.

But yes to me its insanity, but then again I'm not a multimillionaire either :icon_frow

·
Registered
214 Posts
True, but I can get a purebred dog for that price, not a little bitty shrimp that might die without previous notice due to water conditions not being right, molting problems or the like... I definitely would take the pooch over a dwarf shrimp, but that is a personal choice I guess.
Those shrimp would be especially hard to sell for $800 a piece in the US, no matter how many millionaires live in this country. We are very cheap with high grade CRS prices compared to other countries (especially Japan) as well!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Lol yea the red devil is cool. Our dovii and red devil fight ocassionally. More of a territorial bout. Dovii beats him down and claims his corner of tank though. No one goes over there lol.

To me 800 could go to a better cause. But I'm no hardcore shrimp enthusiast either. But I'm sure a lot of people think were crazy spending money on "special" rocks and "special" soil for our "special" plants lol.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
People also spend $1000+ on a Lincoln cent that is barely readable. If you really want it, price has no object.

I am one of those that would pay for that Lincoln cent, and plan on doing so when I graduate as a nurse as a gift to myself. It's the last one I need soooooooo.

They are very cool shrimp, but I wouldn't pay that kind of price. $50, maybe. But hey.....that's THEIR money!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Here is a good CRS grading guide:
http://www.shrimpnow.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=20

And this describes the features a little better:
http://www.shrimpnow.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=68

Basically, the more white, the higher grade the shrimp, although I do like the ones that are about 50/50 as they are the most colorful.

By now there are not only King Kongs, Pandas, Red Wine and various Tiger shrimp (black, blue, red, super), but also Blue Bolt, Super Crystal Red (all red) as well as the usual yellows, cherry Amanos, etc This list goes on and on as there are always new wild species being discovered and brought into the hobby and new spontaneous mutations of captive bred shrimp take place.
Usually they will have them in Japan or the place of origin first, then comes Europe (especially Germany) and we are later on the list to get the "new" species.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I wouldn't think that a collectible/antique would lose value though and they won't suddently vanish either...
Oh they can certainly lose value. It's not hard to turn a $10,000 coin into a $1,000 coin (or less!). I've seen it happen. Some big shot decided to take a very expensive Morgan proof dollar out of a flip and put his greasy hands all over it. Then he DROPPED it.....amazing stupidity.

You also can't take two Lincoln cents and breed them to create more of them = $$$$

·
Registered
187 Posts
I know a lady in Vietnam that have some type of goldfish.. they cost 5000$ U.S a piece... she have 10 of em. I didnt get to see them because she had them upstair in a room so.. And her CRS range from 300$ (being lowest) to around 1500$ being the most expensive.

Its crazy =(

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.