The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My aquariums are in my basement. My house had been badly neglected and the repossessed. The basement was gutted and it and the rest of the house was completely remodeled. When I bought it, the basement had a bug problem, but that has slowly improved with some frequent sneaker stomping. I don't worry about bugs too much, but I'm not spider friendly at all. I'd really like to set off a couple of those bug bombs to get rid of the last few bugs and big hairy Wolf spiders, but I'm afraid of killing my fish even if I cover the tank with plastic and put tape around it to seal it. Any experiences or thoughts?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Dude thats like the creepiest thing ever.Is that babies on its back?Squish it,lol.and the little minions.Just...ew.

On the fish topic,I have bombed with towels layed over the tanks and no casualties.You can tape them up if you want,just make sure the bomb doesnt get in the tank.

Not sure if spiders eat the stuff but I have read that boric acid is safe for fish and have it out and about in my home,and the cats and dog are fine and so far all the fish are as well.Read up some more on that one though I would hate for something to happen.

·
Registered
103 Posts
When I worked at the zoo I was never warned about any invert hurting the fish other than scorpions (in fact that is how we lost several piranhas and lungfish). I understand you don't like spiders, but the best way to keep insects away or down is by predation, ie spiders.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dude thats like the creepiest thing ever.Is that babies on its back?Squish it,lol.and the little minions.Just...ew.
Yeah, I get the heebie jeebies just looking at the pic. I don't mind a little spider, but finding this is not cool.

And if you stomp on this, the babies run in 1000 different directions and then end up all over your house as big spiders a year later. Make you soil yourself it will.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
you need to get rid of there food ! bugs they are hunters that really like to come indoors this time of year due to cold. id say no to the bug bomb your risking way to much for a quick fix but it wont solve the problem in the long run, think of it like algae quick fix an come back or fix right no problem. id go look around the house and check for spots that arent sealed up doors windows vents stuff like that caulk them or fix as necessary then spray for insects outdoors their food, 1part beer 1pt lemon ammonia 1pt lemon dish soap and using a hose end sprayer spray everything trees bushes garden everything do that every month to 2 months should almost disappear no food = no home. if u get rid of them without killing there food there food will most likely become the next nuisance. i dont mind them just grab em toss em outside to kill the bugs.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wanted to update this thread.

Last week I set off 6 bug bombs in my basement. I covered the aquariums with plastic. There was a good seal except where the filter stuff went in. I didn't tape around all the edges. I just made sure there were no gaps if possible.

I didn't lose any fish.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am sorry but if that thing was in my house I would break out the propane torch, KILL IT WITH FIRE, set fire to the ashes, stomp on them, and then pour bleach on everything.

So, in comparison, bug bombing probably saved you on insurance claims. :D

~Kelli

·
Registered
103 Posts
You guys do realize that if there were no spiders, we'd be overrun with crickets, cockroaches, silverfish, and pretty much every kind of insect alive?

Me, I don't like ticks, but if someone posted a picture of a tick I wouldn't be screaming KILL IT WITH FIRE. Besides, drowning them in alcohol is so much cleaner.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wow, I really didn't need to see that. Normally I don't have huge issues with bugs but wow, just wow.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be creeped out most of the day and have nightmares tonight, lol.

·
Registered
501 Posts
You guys do realize that if there were no spiders, we'd be overrun with crickets, cockroaches, silverfish, and pretty much every kind of insect alive?

Me, I don't like ticks, but if someone posted a picture of a tick I wouldn't be screaming KILL IT WITH FIRE. Besides, drowning them in alcohol is so much cleaner.
I don't mind them, but c'mon just look at that picture, I doubt you'd want to cuddle with it? :icon_mrgr

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.