The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a deep gravel/sand bed - why not put down a layer of those ceramic bio rings? Since it seems like the less you mess with them the better, if they're just under the gravel wouldn't they be a good environment for lots of good bacteria?

I've never heard of this so I assume it doesn't work for some reason (not enough o2 I'm guessing).

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
276 Posts
I have a buddy who does this in his nano tanks. Yes, less movement, but the bacteria is still there. He uses these little bio ball things. just like the rings but balls. I don't recall the brand or anything, I just remember they are more expensive than the rings.

His tanks all look amazing. some are a couple years old. I would recommend you get the best quality to you can since you won't want to redo this. make sure it is already porous. I know some kinda develop the porous look as time goes on.

And I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty damn sure he caps that with an aquarium soil. I don't know the brand. I could ask though.

@Pyraus I actually developed the hang on breeder idea I mentioned in your other thread at this guy's house this past Sunday. I picked up an extra Betta he had.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I like Repharaoh's suggestion. If you use larger balls and baked clay like Flourite as your main substrate, you'll essentially be building a plenum.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
276 Posts
I like Repharaoh's suggestion. If you use larger balls and baked clay like Flourite as your main substrate, you'll essentially be building a plenum.
nice, new vocab. plenum....

I think that would be best as well, something like mesh or screen to separate, and a substrate on top that isn't going to go through that mesh. Plus you'll want the substrate to be able to 'breathe' anyway. so larger will be good there. Cleaning is still my worry down the road though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
More substrate instead would mean more root space for plants which provide oxygen and habitable conditions for bacteria that live on the roots. Would be better in my opinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I see many scraper's videos that use lava rocks under the substrate to create slopes and hills in their creations. As far as I recall, one of them mentioned that those rocks also work part of the filtration and create a medium for bacteria, and it is way cheaper than fancy bio balls.

·
Registered
91 Posts
nice, new vocab. plenum....

I think that would be best as well, something like mesh or screen to separate, and a substrate on top that isn't going to go through that mesh. Plus you'll want the substrate to be able to 'breathe' anyway. so larger will be good there. Cleaning is still my worry down the road though.

Good luck!
I'm very curious about mulm / detritus as well. People who use them say the substrate stays clean. I guess this would depend on how messy your tank is to begin with. I'm in the planning stages for an upcoming set up with a plenum. If you're interested in plenums you might want to search Kevin Novak on youtube. He has a bunch of videos on the subject. Very interesting stuff.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm very curious about mulm / detritus as well. People who use them say the substrate stays clean. I guess this would depend on how messy your tank is to begin with. I'm in the planning stages for an upcoming set up with a plenum. If you're interested in plenums you might want to search Kevin Novak on youtube. He has a bunch of videos on the subject. Very interesting stuff.
Thanks for the tip! I definitely will check him out. I think first I better google what a plenum is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts