The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 210 gallon aquarium with somewhere upwards of 2 million nuisance and other snails. I would like to conduct some population control in the form of dump it in there and let "It" take care of it. The problem is if "it" bothers the wife's ghost shrimp adults my wife will have me in there with a spear gun trying to get "it" out.

What is "it"?

I tried Kuhli Loaches, the swim into the overflows and end up in the sump where they do a great job at eating all of the snails in the sump, but I cannot keep them in the main tank.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did that for a while, but I was losing ground especially when the spiral (I forget the proper name) shaped snails appeared.

·
Banned
662 Posts
Use a few large nets with a couple slices of cucumber in there over night and scoop out the many snails covering them in the morning.
Repeat.

·
Registered
288 Posts
We had some luck with management of pest snail population with CPOs. It was a bit of an unexpected bonus of having these guys. They're a bit too clumsy to bother shrimp or even the larger snails (nerite, adult ramshorn, apple snails) but have reduced the pest snail population quite significantly.

As a warning though, we have seen them take down some sick ghost shrimp... but the healthy cherries/ghosties never have a problem with them.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Temporary dwarf puffer. They'll eat shrimp, but vastly prefer snails.

EDIT: I doubt they'll go after adult ghost shrimp. Mine never did, though they would pick on small cherry shrimp from time to time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Actually, what kind of shrimp do you have? And if you need a puffer, my brother in law has one. It killed all his snails and fishes. Not fun to see him so sad.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Zebra loaches. Botia striata. Stay small and eat smaller ones ;) i loved mine

Edit. They are a strong well muscled fish and would eat shrimp. They will handle the incessant small snails that are very hard to get rid of though

·
Registered
15 Posts
Definitely Assassin snails, I had my 125g covered with hundreds of pond snail and 5 assassins, exterminated all of them in a month or so.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Definitely puffers... two or three of them will clean you out pretty quickly.

Puffers.... I've got a heavily planted 75G and had thousands of snails and lots of shrimp! Added two puffers and the snails were gone in 3 weeks.... they also seem to control my shrimp population! I tried to count the shrimp today..... but stopped at @ 100 or so!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well thanks for the responses, assassin snails sound good, where do you get them?
Puffers will get me into trouble with the wife, along with Zebra loach's.

I have to forward the sentiment, what is/are CPO'S?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts