The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just oder some ada soil thats coming this week and was planing to change my substrate. Heres my question I have a lot of snail in the tank if I was to take my plants and salt them will just enough to kill the snails then wash them with tap water will that harm my plants? How much salt would be enough to kill the snails?

Heres the plants I have:
HC
Jave fern
Micro swords

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
java fern and microswords are plants that dont die that easily you could probably dip them in some salt water

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I doubt salt would work - they'll just pull into their shell and it'll never touch them. Works better on critters without shells, like slugs :hihi:

Try Potassium permanganate to kill any and all inverts - it is a purple crystal that dies the water a dark inky color and is generally sold as a pool chemical. Mix up a good dark solution of this and soak your plants. It won't hurt the plants in the slightest and will kill your inverts.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Population control. Cut back on feeding, bait a trap (like a piece of zucchini overnight) and then collect them in the morning, get a fish that eats them (any member of the Botia genus), or learn to love 'em like I do.

Nothing else kills them 100%. Some say copper, but that's a nasty little metal which sticks to everything, can hurt some plants, and normally doesn't work 100%.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I've tried SW dips. They're effective, but kills fine-leaved plants quickly. If the snails are crawling around on the plants, you can swirl through through some concentrated SW and they'll "retract" into their shells and at the same time, just simply fall off the plant.

I've also tried H2O2 dips, but those also ruin very fine plants....you can try both and see what success it brings you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts