The Planted Tank Forum banner

Killing Pest Snails in Empty Aquarium Without Harming Future Inverts

453 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Nature Freak
Hi guys,

I have an aquarium that I've redesigned. In the redesign I've had no fish in the aquarium for a while while plants were growing in. I eventually lost the cycle so I'm currently starting to fishless cycle, but see an opportunity to remove all the pest snails in the aquarium since there are no live animals present.

Is there a chemical way to kill off all of the pest snails without leaving traces that will harm shrimp and pet snails in the future? I know I could add copper solutions but I'm concerned that they will stay in the tank after I've done water exchanges.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,588 Posts
Yeah unfortunately there isn't ever a easy way of removing snails.
I've torn a tank down twice redoing substrates trying to get rid of mini ramshorn and nothing seemed to work.
Over time they really are not as prevalent which may be do to low gh/kh I have now, or food has gone away. I still have plenty of brown algae so I'm thinking the gh kh is contributing to my lower numbers.
Gh 3 and kh 0 btw. I'm also running CO2 so maybe acidic water could help.
You can soak plants in alum as well I did 1 tablespoon per gallon and soaked plants for 30 hrs. Killed all pest snails except mini ramshorn eggs.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts