The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have an aquarium that I've redesigned. In the redesign I've had no fish in the aquarium for a while while plants were growing in. I eventually lost the cycle so I'm currently starting to fishless cycle, but see an opportunity to remove all the pest snails in the aquarium since there are no live animals present.

Is there a chemical way to kill off all of the pest snails without leaving traces that will harm shrimp and pet snails in the future? I know I could add copper solutions but I'm concerned that they will stay in the tank after I've done water exchanges.

·
Administrator
17,883 Posts
Is there a chemical way to kill off all of the pest snails without leaving traces that will harm shrimp and pet snails in the future?
No. (No, there's not - to those thinking of chiming in with anecdotes. Not even dog dewormer is totally safe.)

And I'm pretty sure you're already aware of this but snails are part of the hobby and trying to eradicate them is futile. It's also not a good idea for your overall ecosystem if you're planning to have shrimp. Snails ("pest snail" is a misnomer) are a terrific indicator of tank health and an essential part of cleaning up in a sensitive shrimp tank.

If you unintentionally have too many snails? Your tank isn't at all what I would consider healthy and you need to put in some effort. Their population will dwindle when their food supply/supplies dwindles. So feed less or work to make sure you don't have a ton of decaying matter in the tank.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Yeah unfortunately there isn't ever a easy way of removing snails.
I've torn a tank down twice redoing substrates trying to get rid of mini ramshorn and nothing seemed to work.
Over time they really are not as prevalent which may be do to low gh/kh I have now, or food has gone away. I still have plenty of brown algae so I'm thinking the gh kh is contributing to my lower numbers.
Gh 3 and kh 0 btw. I'm also running CO2 so maybe acidic water could help.
You can soak plants in alum as well I did 1 tablespoon per gallon and soaked plants for 30 hrs. Killed all pest snails except mini ramshorn eggs.

·
Registered
235 Posts
To echo @somewhatshocked , snails are really good for planted aquariums. What kind of snails are they?
To answer your question, if they're bladder snails, those are very easy to trap. Just cut the top third off a water bottle and invert it. Place some spinach leaves in the bottle before inverting the top. Place the bottle top down in the tank, at substrate level. Overnight, the snails will crawl up for the spinach, but no way out.
I'd love some extra if you decide to do this.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts