The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some cherry shrimp not to long ago when I put the shrimp into my tank I notice some cyclops swimming around. I try my best to get all of them out but now it have multiply into hundreds. Whats is the best way of killing these cyclops with out killing my cherry shrimp?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have try putting fry fish but theirs too many of them and the cyclops are too fast for them.

·
Banned
560 Posts
????Ok I am lost do you have a huge mass of them or what? A fry fish will eat like 20 a day at least. So if you put in say about 20 fry that's about 400 per day they will eat. You could try white clouds or neons. Fish are your best tool I think.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Fish are your only option. Leave a few small fish in the tank all the time and they will go away for the most part. I have some three-line corys in with my cherrys and the shrimp do just fine.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
I wish I had cylops.. That's free fresh food for fish. Put in a small fast fish. Plenty of options... zebra danio, cherry barbs, white cloud, all the tetras.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Well Finchman, if you don't overfeed too much then the cyclops should be gone. Otherwise they are multiplying really fast because of maybe some bacteria bloom. Otherwise cyclops should be a second pet and not a pest... Or you can take off w/e you're covering your filter with for a week or so, if you're not expecting any babies, unless there are babies already...

Unless you find them disgusting then go find some fry.

·
Registered
428 Posts
When I first started a shrimp tank I had cyclops briefly. I added an albino cory and after 2 weeks I never saw a single cyclops again. The Cory will not bother your shrimp. I've had mine in the same shrimp tank for over a year now and I have more cherries than I can count.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heres the problem,I have them in a 2.5 gallon tank with no filtration. I feed them very little, very now and then. I had 8 baby guppy in the tank but the cyclops are way too fast and they multiply like crazy!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
New to all this tank talk here. Sorry to kind of change the subject, but could someone tell me what a cyclops is and why they're bad? I'm getting read to start my first shrimp tank and I never heard of them.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You can read about all kinds of little tank buggers HERE. Copepods are harmless but some people just don't like seeing them in their tank. If you have a HUGE explosion of them it can look unappealing. Avoid overfeeding your livestock and you won't have a problem.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How long can I starve my shrimp in order to kill these cyclops... Also does cyclops eat any algae??

·
Registered
381 Posts
I had all kinds of little critters in my ghost tank...moved the ghosts to fish tank to get ready for cherries...I wish I had fry in there...I hate feeding processed food to the fish and want a natural diet for them...this would have been great!!! The only problem I see with adding fry to the tank is that they will eat any "real" shrimp babies (are they called fry also?)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have cyclops, nematodes and some other teeny hitchhikers I got with some shrimp. I barely feed anything and they haven't gone away. I just don't worry about it.

Tommy

1 - 20 of 32 Posts