The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Super noob question here, but can someone tell me why I should or should not keep killifish? I hardly ever hear them mentioned and they seem pretty cool with the limited research I've done.

Pros? Cons?

Thank you,

·
Registered
735 Posts
I kept four pairs of different killifish at one time.

Pros: beautiful, easy to keep, many are easy to breed, unique.

Cons: I didn't like keeping up with four smaller tanks in addition to my two larger tanks, males can bully females if kept in pairs only, some will rip fins of other fish if kept in a community tank.

Overall, I really enjoyed them and would recommend them. I did my research, and much of what I read said they could be kept in pairs in tanks as small as 2.5 gallons with no filtration if water is changed regularly.

However, I think they would do best in larger tanks with filtration (makes maintenance easier) and lots of cover for the females. I think it'd be best to have more than one female per male; lone females can get beat up.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I used to keep Aphyosemion type killies.

Pros: Stunning coloration, easy to breed, relatively easy to raise
Cons: Best suited to species tanks (very aggressive feeders), superb jumpers, annuals are very high maintenance in terms of preparing the eggs

They're definitely great fish for small soft water tanks. Unfortunately now that I'm often away from home from over a month at a time I no longer keep them. Getting them to feed on prepared foods can be tricky at first, and parents should be separated from their eggs for the best yields, neither of which I'd want my fish-sitters to have to deal with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts