The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 shrimp in my tank. When I purchased them, they were sold as ghost shrimp. They were all around 1/2" when I got them about 3-4 months ago. They have grown very fast. One of them is around 4" long, not including legs and feelers and other appendages. Two others are 2.5"-3" long. Another is about 2" long. They are all voracious eaters often stealing food out from under the mouths of my Cory's. In the last week, I have lost 5 out of my 7 Neon Tetra's with no trace. I also have a Betta and 2 Panda Cory's that are fine but seem to be much more stressed lately. The Betta stays at the top of the tank where he used to be a mid level swimmer. The Cory's now hang out on top of my magnetic glass scraper. The two neon tetra's I have left seem to be fine.

The shrimp seem to be pretty agressive and I am planning on taking them out tommorow. The water conditions are fine, actually, excellent, so I cannot think of what else would cause 5 fish to disappear within 3 nights that have been in a stable tank for over 2 years now.

If it is not the shrimp, I would like to know because they do a very good job at keeping my tank spotless, but I do not want to lose anything else.

Thank you.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Hmmm.. I'm sure you could find someone on this forum that would want those shrimp. I'm actually kind of interested myself but I'm getting cherries. At least you didn't have to worry about your fish harrassing your shrimp. :eek: Got pictures?

·
Registered
486 Posts
This is a common mis-labeled shrimp. The shrimp in the pictures is a Macro sp. and should be removed immediately. This shrimp is very aggressive and will eat the rest of your fish eventually. Your LFS might buy them though, they look like very nice shrimp...

Cheers,
Justin

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, I got them out. They are temporarily residing in a large Rubbermaid bowl. They will be going to the lfs tonight. From what I read, they are somewhat of a rarity in the U.S., but they are often sold as juveniles with ghost shrimp. They are aggressive and will kill small fish. It does appear to be the same thing you had Gobies et al. The Macro SP. was also a big help in identifying it.
They were very difficult to get out of my tank. It took me a good 45 minutes and I had to pretty much destroy everything in my tank to get them.
If anyone wants them, let me know in the next few minutes. Otherwise, I will be taking them up to Dallas North Aquarium tonight. I am currently in Duncanville, TX, but I will be heading towards Carrollton, TX shortly. After that, DNA. Wherever they wind up, I am sure it will be a good home where they will hopefully be welcome. There are 3 of them. Call me at (deletd. shrimp are gone now.)

·
Registered
396 Posts
its a blue tint prawn, or at least thats what it is referred to as in my shop... aggrssive hunter, can get up to 3.25" cool for a species system though
It looks like a juvenile Macrobrachium rosenbergii (for some reason, possibly the presence of a regional aquaculture source, they're frequently sold as "ghost shrimp" in parts of Texas) and can get quite a bit larger than that. A shot of one male M. rosenbergii's claw-bearing arms:

According to a contact in Australia, fully-grown adults enjoy eating redclaw crayfish.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.