The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my pond out with 1 koi, 1 Pleco, and five rosy red minnows. now i am up to 1 Koi, 1 Pleco, and HUNDREDS of rosy reds. so if any one knows a fish i can add to eat the reds (babies eggs or adults) but leave the rest alone it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I would sell them to your LFS for cheap. Rosy reds are what? 10 cents? Sell them for like 1-3 cents each because you're not going to get them to buy for any more. Afterall they have to make room for housing/feeding while they're there and on top of that they need to turn a profit.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Snakeheads are an invasive species and are eating native populations towards extintion. They can even travel across land when a pond has no food or dries up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was joking.

My kids saw a documentry of the snakehead problem and had nightmares for a couple of nights. Since they can move across dry land they were afraid they were going to come into their bedrooms.
Funny along the lines of "You should put an Oscar in there!!"

I am fairly sure I saw a Snakehead spawning this early summer in the IL Fox river watershed. It didn't look like a Bowfin at all. The DNR hasn't listed this fish in the Fox, only the Rock river in WI.

Bowfin (Native)

Snakehead (Exotic)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.