The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the good fortune to live in an area where my electric utility, Ameren UE, believes that it is unnecessary to trim back limbs growing over and through power lines because that doesn't prevent power outages. As a result, I went without power for 53 hours due to one night of freezing rain. Funny how the power lines with ice on them that were above the trees were still on the pole. In my three tanks, only four fish survived: two swordtails, a cory and to my surprise, one otto. I had coverd the tanks with blankets and the water was down to 50 degrees when I uncovered them after the power came on. I have no clue if the plants were harmed but I'll find out over the next week or two. Shame, the tank was looking sharp.

On the upside, I don't have to worry about my fish load being on the high side anymore. Thank you Ameren for correcting my stock.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. I have a few 24 hour heatpacks, a box, and some kordon breather bags just in case that happens here in San Diego. You never know with this freakish weather! It got down to 28 last night... pretty rare around here.
If you have renter's/homeowners insurance, I think you can make a claim.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have a few 24 hour heatpacks, a box, and some kordon breather bags just in case that happens

First I thought: "Wow, great idea!" Then, I imagined trying to hunt and catch 50 some fish out of a very densely planted 75 by candle light!:frown:
The last time I wanted to remove some diamond tetras from my tank I had to remove ALL the plants first!

g8wayg8r, how sad about your fish death, so sorry for you.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to keep some hot packs on hand from now on. It could be the differernce. I'm not sure how much it can heat water but it's better than nothing until I can get the breather bags. Thanks for the tip.

Talk about stressing the fish! Guess it's better than being chilled to death.

As to being ready, that means calls to outside power companies (thank you Pike Electric) before the strom arrives. Just to put it in prespective, a month ago, freezing rain got the south part of town. It got the north part of town this time. I lost power for two days this summer from a thunderstorm. All you have to do is look down my ally and drive around town and you can see the problem.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Sorry to hear your loss.:( 50 degrees is too much.:eek:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yeah, trying to scoop out all of your fish and such during a blackout would be a major PITA!

Sorry for your loss also. Really sucks.

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
On a side note, the plants should be fine in those conditions for 2 days. Most plants just sit and wait for the warmth to come back. Some may drop a few leaves but overall it is less damaging then a short time at high temps.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I agree, your plants can recover. I was out of power for a little longer than you were, but my loss of fish was truly shocking (no pun intended).
(see my post here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fish/39539-power-outage-3-days-results-heavy.html)

but the good news... the fish that survived will probibly make it out of it ok. My survivors are breeding like mad now. I have babies everywhere. My shrimp are even looking like WWII just got over. LOL of course for them it kinda did...in a way.

I lost quite a few of my fave fish including all but one of my breeding population of calico rukins and even my koi. You know its bad when a koi keels over during a power outage.

·
Registered
197 Posts
here in seattle we lost power for 5 days lossed all but one fish but the plants are all ok.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts