The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a planted tank which is currently transitioning from a diatom to green algae. I am not the worlds foremost expert on algae but I see some red algae, some green slimy algae, residual diatom brown algae and some black/brown hair like algae growing on the tips of my cyprus helferi.

I experimented with a few leaves of cyprus helferi with the hairlike brown/black algae and stuck a few cuttings of them in my 10 gal shrimp tank which has red cherries and crs. within 12 hours the leaves are free of algae!
So I tried a few more leaves and so forth. Its to the point that the shrimp flock to the leaves as soon as I stick them in the tank!

So I have just put in a decent sized portion of micro swords, which has some algae on it. and again they are ALL over it!

My Question is this. Can I do this with the plants in my planted tank and one by one just feed the shrimp with it?
I think if I can do this, it would be a much better solution than just doing a dip in a bleach or hydrogen peroxide or excel spot treatment!
It may take longer but I can feed my shrimp at the same time!

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
This is definitely a viable option. However, do not do all your plants at once or the algae might spread in your shrimp tank.

What are you doing with the "clean" plants after the shrimp eat the algae? Are you putting it back into the tank with tons of algae?

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha yeah pretty much!
but actually I have another option.
I have a planted tank with aquaponics setup. where I have the lights shining on a hydroton ball setup atop the tank. I have plants in there and I'm thinking about doing a MASSIVE cleaning and water change right now in my tank then start dosing excel and cleaning each plant via shrimp over a 2 week period.
Not all of the plants in my planted tank have algae growing on them, just the slow growers.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
I would be careful with shrimp and excel. A lot of people had the problem of the shrimp dying to it. I would have the shrimp clean the plants and then dose with excel, that way you aren't fertilizing the algae as well.

And very weird, are you just starting to cycle the planted tank? Normally the fast growers out compete algae.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Genius that's very kind I got these from a fellow TPT member Scipio, who is AWESOME! Here is a full tank shot:

Also a better shot of the SS, my one and only and my favorite!

Also I want to clear up any confusion here.
I do not mean to add excel to my shrimp tank, as it is a low tech setup without CO2, nutes or anything other than a 27W clipon light and a sponge filter with air pump.
I merely mean that I am planning on using the shrimp to clear some of the algae away from existing plants from my 40G breeder Planted tank. I will be adding excel to that tank in order to control algae growth.

In terms of setting up tanks, my 40G breeder has been up and running since this Sept when I moved, but I had the filter and the substrate and plants in a different tank for almost 2 months before I swapped them over to the 40G breeder.
Here is a shot of my Planted tank:

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha hooray! more than grading I am more concerned with their survival, as I have lost quite a few CRS during the last couple weeks but I havent lost any in the last week or so

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.