The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, eating dinner I look up at the tank with the angels and male swords. I noticed one of the smaller angels (shy of 3 inches body) is cleaning a leaf on the sagittarius and doing dry runs with its egg tube out. I doubt the fish is even gravid. She is chasing everyone except one of the larger kois (luckily not related to her and just as good looking) away. I'm hoping the stress of dealing with dumb as brick platies and swords puts her off the nesting thing. She never even spent time forming a pair first.

I guess that's what you get for being 2 days late with the water change (they were working on the mains and the water was not suitable). Will see what happens, if there are any actual eggs I have a 100 litre cube tank in the garage and spare cycled filters available.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I have a female angle in a 55g, no other angels or anything remotely like an angle. She will clean off a decor item and lay eggs on it every now and then (not sure how often as I actually can't see into the tank with all the pothos in front of it), she eats the eggs within 24-48 hours since they're obviously infertile.
Her first batch of eggs she got real mean/territorial.. the tank sprung a leak within 2 days of her laying eggs so everyone had to be moved as it got scraped free of silicone and re-sealed. She's been less of a [censor] when she lays eggs after that. My husband joked that she thought it was punishment (getting moved to the smaller tank) for being such a [censor]. Now I can see the cory and cherry barbs swim around her when she 'guards' eggs but she doesn't chase, they can get within 3" of her no problem.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure I want to have angelfish babies now, but the koi's do sell quite well. Its just that I have 11 tanks up already.
It was more a next year kind of project. just getting some nice fish and raising them for breeding later.

I started a danio breeder setup too after seeing how easy they breed and fast they grow. Have about 200 leopard zebra eggs incubating. (I actually say a pink neon leopard last week at a store)
They are cheap fish but you can have them out to market in 50 to 70% of the time it takes to raise livebearers. Some of my swordtails can take a year to sex.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.