The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been battling my BGA for the past week and I'm really seeing some results from adding potassium nitrate, the algae rate of growth has been shortened by alot. I went on a 3 day trip up to sedona, and when I came back the BGA had hardly grown at all.

After doing a 50% water change and added some excel and potassium nitrate (the normal dosage) this afternoon and picking out all the little bits of BGA I could find, I decided to try and "kick it while its down" and attempt a 3 day blackout. I've covered the 10g tank in about 4 black garbage bags and a blanket (a bit excessive I think, but I wanted to be sure its perfectly dark) and plan to check it Thursday. I'm still rather worried on the effects my fish and plants might have from this...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Blacking out the tank is a good idea. How ever covering it with a plastic bag is a little scary. That will really limit the amount of oxygen exchange. Also any gases that are expelled from the tank will be trapped inside the plastic bag.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would just skip the plastic bag. Do you have alot of ambient light hitting the tank?

Just shutting the lights off over the tank should do the trick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts